Railroad Forums 

• GP-10 on the Stone Train

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

#44394  by jayrmli

As for other railroads taking better care of their engines mechanically, I will give the following answer: probably.

For the most part though, the engines do find a way to get the job done, whether it is through divine intervention, superior spit and bailing wire, etc. I don't know what it is, but mechanical breakdowns on the main are rare. (I know this means I will have a problem tonight :-) )

As for comparing NYAR to other shortlines with older engines...

Name one other shortline that has to haul and switch freight in between 800 regularly scheduled passenger trains. Answer: there are none. That said, other shortlines can get away with using a 50+ year old engine on their branch. If it breaks down, so what? Just get another 50+ year old engine out to take her place.

The NYAR brought the GP10 back (along with two SW1200s) to haul freight on the Bushwick Branch. This would have worked, using the analogy I gave above. To expect it to "perform like a champ" on a 40 car stone train travelling at 45MPH is a stretch. Hope all the railfans who wanted to see the GP10 on the stone train got their pictures already, because you may not ever see it again. Then again, this company never ceases to amaze me!

Jay

#44442  by DogBert

Nevermind dodging the 800 trains a day, I forgot all about the speed. not many of the short lines with ancient engines seem to ever need to go above 25mph.

Given the demands, at least on the rock train, I guess i always figured they'd get bigger or at least newer engines that could cover both the road and the brooklyn branches (if really needed). Having a batch of perhaps-not-that-well-maintained rustbuckets just assigned to the bush and ridge seems like a sure fired perscription for those engines to kick off and thus end up with good road engines on crap track.

Perhaps when enough of the old stuff like 201 dies... Maybe ya'all can take out the sw1200's next weekend? Kill them off and demand something better! :P :P

(I used to work in a midtown office where people were so fed up with the anicent slow computers they were given that they'd find ways to creatively break them - and it's not like the company didn't have money to actually buy them more modern machines to work with. They simply wouldn't do it until something broke and the work wasn't getting done)

#44476  by mainline

Jay When are you going to drag the GP 10 back to the Pond? Maybe then you'll break down. Bill

#44525  by John 61

Waiting for a lift. Lunchtime Tuesday 8-17-2004 Image

#44548  by emfinite

I heard rumours that an artificial reef may be in question. Can anyone confirm this? :P

Joe

#44559  by KilltheGP10

DUE TO ITS CURRENT CONDITION AND LOCATION, THE NEW YORK & ATLANTIC RAILWAY HAS SOLD THE GP10 TO THE HEARTLAND GOLF COMPLEX NEXT DOOR. RUMOR HAS IT THAT IT WILL BE USED AS A NEW OBSTACLE ON ITS MINIATURE GOLF COURSE.

WHO NEEDS A WINDMILL WHEN YOU CAN HAVE A GP10!!!

THE END IS NEAR!!!

RUDOLPH

#44593  by DogBert

I love how you can still see the word 'Quality' on there...

#44628  by SeldenJrFireman

If they do get rid of it, i got dibs on the horn, if it has one :-)

#45000  by jayrmli

That's kind of like Union Pacific painting "We Deliver" on their engines shortly after their meltdown!

Jay

#45043  by Gruntled

August 13th:

"The shop mechanic...does not really want it to go out again. I guess if it blows up more work for him."

August 14:

"201 fried a traction motor at speed in Wyandanch."

So much for second guessing the mechanic!

I like you Scrap, but you posted yourself into BOBOdom this time!

PS Both Toms suck

#45044  by Gruntled

Jay, how about M&E running over NJ Transit?

Maybe others in Chicagoland?

#45343  by lirrmike

I'll fix it! With a torch. Should've got an ALCO or GE. No nasty remarks anyone.

Mike

#45432  by DogBert

Any thoughts on if 'Mr Quality' will still be there sunday? I might be in that 'hood taking photos...

#45613  by jayrmli

Nice stab Gruntled! However, NJT doesn't have 800 scheduled passenger trains a day. I'm not too familiar with their routings over Transit, but I don't think you would have the same density that you have on the Main Line. I don't think M&E has a customer like Jamaica Ash to switch. (Remember switching them? It still sucks!)

I can think of a couple more railroads that come close though. You mentioned Chicago, and Southshore Freight comes to mind. Same can be said about P&W (although they're not really a shortline) and as you mentioned, the M&E.

Jay

#45614  by jayrmli

I know you didn't want a reply lirrmike, but I have to also include that they should have gotten a Baldwin Lima Hamilton. I'm sure there's one around somewhere!

Jay