• GP-10 on the Stone Train

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

by Mr GP10

Well It looks like I missed the stone train this morning...... I got to Jamaica at 9:15AM and stayed there till about 11:30AM. The only diesels I saw was the usual LIRR crap I mean DE/DM units and 4 MP-15s 150 and 152 with a work trainn in Jamaica station track 3 and 4? Something like that then 172/167 both facing east going somewhere out to L I. Questions what time did the stone train leave to go out to L I? Was the GP-10 on it? I guess I ll have to be at Jamaica next week even earlier? Oh well any responses will be a major help thank you to all.

by John 61

The GP-10 was in the middle of the RS-30 stone train today. 268-201-271 was the eastbound running order. I caught it at Ronkonkoma ( 11:20 am) and also at Prima. The GP-10 didn't seem to be online or even running when I photographed it.

by Scrap em All

Not a good day for the 201 today. 201 fried a traction motor at speed in Wyandanch. I never seen so much smoke come out of an engine during my entire career! One traction motor "birds nested" and partially seized itself. I could not get that train over 25 mph all the way to Prima. On the way west from Prima the axle locked up and was dragged to Pineaire and set out. This is probably the last time 201 will be on the main for a very long time.

by SeldenJrFireman

Shoulda just dumped it at Gershow. That thing is just going to cost the NYA more and more money year after year. Probably better off taking the scrap money recieved from Gershow and use it to repair the rest of the fleet. That is just my two cents on 201.
  by John 61

Thanks Scrap,
I was the one taking the photos at Ronkonkoma and at Prima. When I returned home I told my wife that it was a once in a lifetime thing. She gave me a funny look and laughed. Too bad about the 201. I had a feeling there might be a problem when I noticed the train wasn't moving very fast Next time maybe the #101???.

by jayrmli

They better build an additional shop track at Pond. It's already full now. I wonder where they'll store that piece of junk.

Getting the GP-10 to handle the additional freight would have been a good idea if this was circa 1959.

Jay

by Mr GP10

Myself and this engine just dont have luck lol. What time did you guys pass Jamaica station? Thats to bad about the traction motor hopefully it could be fixed soon. It sounds like a whole truck needs to be replaced. When and where did the trouble begin? Is the NY&A currently seeking more motive power? :(

by John 61

Jay,

Aren't you the engineer out of Pine-Aire?? I guess it will be in your way now until it gets moved out of there. It's a blue engine with flat wheels.

by Scrap em All

Nice shot John. Pardon me for looking a little pi$$ed off, the 201 got me furious. If you have, post some pictures of that crap box for the others to see. It will be the only time they will see "Conrail" on the island. :(

by John 61

Anybody know if the GP-10 is still at Pine-aire? Maybe it should be brought out to Riverhead for the annual festival Aug 28+29. It should fit right in since this years theme is the World Fair...1964 that is .

by emfinite

It didn't come back on the RS-51 tonight. The RS-80 went out to Farmingdale and Wyandanch, but I don't know if it's making its way to drag the GP10 back from Pine Aire.

by jayrmli

The GP 10 is on the Pilgrim spur. It can not be moved until a crane is brought in to lift the engine and fix the problem.

Jay

by SeldenJrFireman

Gershow has a crane. :-)

by DogBert

It'll be interesting to see how long it sits out there. Sounds like an expensive repair bill. Is it even worth the trouble?

So when's NY&A going to get some newer engines? :P :P Ain't there plenty of gp38s on the market? With all the time and money spent on the old junk, maybe mgmt. will eventually decide on something a little more up to date...

What puzzles me though is how there's so many little RR's out there running even older engines and apparently not having many problems. Do they just take care of their engines better?

by SeldenJrFireman

If they Hire me as a Diesel Mechanic, those enines will be running better than when they first got them!