Railroad Forums 

• CSX locomotives in Maine

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#833557  by CN9634

I heard that it is to be a regular thing. Not exactly sure yet however.
 #833752  by newpylong

Guilford Guy9887 wrote:2 more just came through biddeford. why is CSX GOING TO RIGBY and how does NS feel about it
Why would they care? It's not their traffic or railroad....
 #833783  by bmcdr

Yes, it looks like its going to be a regular thing, and Pan Am is still short of dependable power, so, it looks like they've reached an agreement with CSX to let their power go as far as Rigby, and as newpylong said, it doesn't concern Norfolk Southern. SEWA at EAST KINGSTON,N.H. JULY 29
7-29 ek.jpg
 #833814  by jaymac

If CSX power is going to Rigby, that means NS power won't be, so NS is probably secretly or not so secretly relieved. The Rigby run-through makes operational sense. Swapping power at various places on the Brook or in Lowell has frequently led to complex moves and delays. However, with all the extra miles and hours that CSX power will be spending on PAR, the issue of burning down payback obligations is a natural: Where is PAR going to get enough reliable units to balance off the extra CSX dwell-time?
If NS power should also start showing up in Rigby, mebbe, just mebbe, that could be a harbinger for the Freight Main between CPF-312 and Rigby becoming Shared Assets Northeast.
 #833841  by CN9634

NS power spotted at Rigby today on the rail train headed for Brunswick. Sounds like a fluke thing, but funny that an NS unit is up here now that CSX power has moved past Lowell. Question is, will it go all the way to Brunswick?
 #833919  by calaisbranch

I wanna say CSX power on the old SEED/EDRJ run-throughs lasted about 6-8 weeks. I give it about that amount of time before Pan Am screws the pooch with this agreement. Granted this isn't end-to-end either, but if there's a way to mess it up, the Minky Finks will find it.
 #834440  by cpf354

The back story to all this might have something to do with CSX requiring a reliable arrival and departure from Barber for crew assignments, or an effort to improve the service, or even a renewed commitment and priority to the Worcester Gateway that was so important to Guilford during Conrail. And if I'm not mistaken, this would also mean two sets of CSX power are on Pan Am on any given day. Yes, I wonder what NS makes of this? I'm getting the impression the PAS honeymoon has been over for some time.
 #834446  by ShortlinesUSA

You guys are all missing the point. What this REALLY means is that NS will buy the portion from Mohawk to Ayer, and CSX will buy the portion from Ayer to Rigby, and leave PAR as essentially a shortline operation north of Rigby. It will be like a miniature version of the Conrail transaction. I mean, come on, am I the only one that sees this?!? :P
 #834475  by frrc

Surprised with the NS/PanAm dealings, that NS hasn't loaned any power to PanAM for the runs ?
 #834592  by atsf sp

frrc wrote:Surprised with the NS/PanAm dealings, that NS hasn't loaned any power to PanAM for the runs ?
Wasn't that because Pan Am refused the power rather then NS withholding power?
 #834792  by MEC407

frrc wrote:Surprised with the NS/PanAm dealings, that NS hasn't loaned any power to PanAM for the runs ?
NS power runs on Pan Am all the time: the coal trains run with NS power almost exclusively (and have for many years); MOAY and AYMO have been running with NS power; NS GP38-2s were seen on the west end during one of Pan Am's worst power shortages; and there is a NS ES40DC sitting in Rigby Yard as I type this.