Railroad Forums 

• CSX locomotives in Maine

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#180380  by nygiants21

i know csx comes into rigby on sepo and other trains like that, but how often do csx engines. also, have csx engines traveled further north on district 1 past portland? (like to bangor, danville, waterville.)

as always, if you know anything don't hesitate to post.

#180402  by roberttosh

I'm not absolutely sure, but I don't think CSXT units ever goes East of Rigby. Trains from the West terminate at Rigby to be re-classed, so it's a natural place to turn power. ST can probably get away with it (i.e running CSXT power to Rigby) because SEPO technically goes from Selkirk to Portland and ST can probably make the argument that on occassion it really is neccassary to continue East with CSXT power as opposed to waiting somewhere like Lowell or Lawrence for a WB train that may never come.

#180407  by CSX Conductor

The power is supposed to go no further than Portland, but they often "hijack" the engines for other work, such as locals and yard jobs. Why burn their fuel when they can burn ours?!? :(

#181024  by MEC407

I've never heard of a CSX engine going past Rigby. At one time they weren't even supposed to go to Rigby at all, but that arrangement seems to have resurfaced. I've also never seen or heard of a CSX unit being used on a local. There were rumors a while back that a CSX unit was seen doing switching work in Rigby, but I don't think that has happened again since then. Besides, none of Guilford's branches would be strong enough to hold up an SD70ACe or an ES44DC anyway. :wink:

#181052  by mick

They can go anywhere
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

#181945  by NaugMOW

To the best of my knowledge and according to several insider sources, CSX power is not allowed to come to Maine at all. CSXT has allowed it several times in the past but has eventually stopped GRS from doing it. From what I've been told, GRS is not 'allowed' to use the HPH but sometimes they get away with it. Anyone remember in January when there were a pair of AC6000s at Rigby shoving cars?? I don't know about any of you but I certainly didnt see any CSX units in Maine for a couple months after that.

Typically, GRS doesn't tend to like using CSX power all the way up to Portland anyways. You figure each unit is 4400 or 6000 horsepower. Thats a heck of a lot of hours to pay back with a GP40 (347 on BNSF come to mind??).

But to answer your question, CSX power does not and has never gone north of Portland.

#182138  by TPR37777

I am surprised that CSX lets Guilford so much as touch their locomotives. Do the newer CSX models have global positioning systems such that they could determine exactly where they have been and what they were doing (ie going back and forth as in switching) as opposed to just mileage readings?

#182408  by mick

If CSX
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

#182556  by CSX Conductor

It's a real shame that neither the crews or the company do anything about keeping the locomotive cabs clean. :(

#182564  by MEC407

I know one particular engineer who goes out of his way to keep his cab clean and leave it in better condition than he found it. I guess he's in the minority, though.

#182900  by CN9634

chadb9 wrote:To the best of my knowledge and according to several insider sources, CSX power is not allowed to come to Maine at all. CSXT has allowed it several times in the past but has eventually stopped GRS from doing it. From what I've been told, GRS is not 'allowed' to use the HPH but sometimes they get away with it. Anyone remember in January when there were a pair of AC6000s at Rigby shoving cars?? I don't know about any of you but I certainly didnt see any CSX units in Maine for a couple months after that.

Typically, GRS doesn't tend to like using CSX power all the way up to Portland anyways. You figure each unit is 4400 or 6000 horsepower. Thats a heck of a lot of hours to pay back with a GP40 (347 on BNSF come to mind??).

But to answer your question, CSX power does not and has never gone north of Portland.
Farthest North I've heard of an CSX unit going is to the wye in Portland under the bridge.

#183350  by CSX Conductor

MEC407, I hope I didn't come across the wrong way, there are many of us that take care of the locos and other property/equipment....especially in the smaller terminals. However, there are some real pigs, especially on the main-line. If you're too lazy to put your trash in the bag or remove it from the engine, maybe just throw it out the window.....that takes alot less effort. LOL (It was a joke).

I do wish CSXT would wash the exteriors though....Look how sharp the 5200's look right now, the 4700/4800/s looked like that last year when they were delivered but they were never washed and don't look as good anymore. :(

#183399  by MEC407

CSX Conductor wrote:MEC407, I hope I didn't come across the wrong way
No worries, I know what you mean and maybe I shouldn't have said "minority" -- maybe the ones who trash the cabs are in the minority; they're just more visible than the majority. Like all things, a compromise would probably be good -- crews being a bit more diligent in picking up after themselves, and the railroad being a bit more diligent in doing a thorough cleaning of the locomotive, inside and out (especially the toilet!) when the unit is in for service.
 #833404  by pnolette

CSX power came into Rigby this morning on SEWA and now is headed west on a NMSE.Anyone know if this is going to be common now?
 #833436  by bmcdr

The word around the railroad is that this will become a regular thing, but others say they're just trying it out, depends on who you talk to, we'll see.