Railroad Forums 

• CSX locomotives in Maine

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#834809  by newpylong

MEC407 wrote:
frrc wrote:Surprised with the NS/PanAm dealings, that NS hasn't loaned any power to PanAM for the runs ?
NS power runs on Pan Am all the time: the coal trains run with NS power almost exclusively (and have for many years); MOAY and AYMO have been running with NS power; NS GP38-2s were seen on the west end during one of Pan Am's worst power shortages; and there is a NS ES40DC sitting in Rigby Yard as I type this.
I wouldn't say any of these (outside of those NS 38's early on) have been given to them for their own trains with carte blanche though. They are supposed to be used for the pigs and coal trains, but are often stolen for other jobs.
 #834880  by CN9634

ShortlinesUSA wrote:You guys are all missing the point. What this REALLY means is that NS will buy the portion from Mohawk to Ayer, and CSX will buy the portion from Ayer to Rigby, and leave PAR as essentially a shortline operation north of Rigby. It will be like a miniature version of the Conrail transaction. I mean, come on, am I the only one that sees this?!? :P
False.
 #835001  by newpylong

if it's anything, as of Yesterday they had 3 sets of CSX power on the property and hadn't delivered a train to CSX with this power yet. They ran a 60 car NMED all the way up the New Hampshire Div to clear the wye at CPN1, so that 4 CSXT units and 6 cars could pass it That outta tell you how hot they were to get the power back to CSXT after I am pretty sure a nice phone call.
 #835077  by calaisbranch

Newpylong,

You and I both know how tweaked CSX used to get just with the coal trains, especially the Mount Tom ones. If an original crew from west of Deerfield was gonna can before reaching the Mt. Tom plant with CSX power, it would be pulled and sent to Deerfield with GRS power put in its place. Then, the CSX batch would be sent back usually on the next EDRJ. Even if time seemed longer than normal on the turn-around, CSX would make that call asking, "Where the hell is our power?" I'm real surprised CSX is good with the SEWA/WASE trains. I'd be saying "Piss Off" by now with what GRS/PAS has pulled in the past. CSX doesn't have a working agreement to the extent of NS. I still cringe when I think about the recent TRAINS feature buttering up PAS. I think I puked more with that BS than I do when I have the stomach flu!

ShortlinesUSA,

I could actually see CSX being a dark horse in this somehow. Why would they ever want to come to Rigby, though?! I imagine some old-time railfans up here in MEC territory cry whenever they go trackside:( I know I almost do sometimes and I'm not even from the area!

J Bray
 #835607  by p42thedowneaster

I noticed CSX power with a north-bound train parked at the end of the double track in Plaistow today. I noticed it first at 7AM, but just drove by again at 8PM and they were still there. Looked pretty cool from the 121A crossing!
 #914928  by KSmitty

A while ago here, I looked but couldn't seem to find the thread, there were pictures of CSX in Rigby.
Some of these were from 2004, but others were more recent c.2010. If memory serves there were 2 sets of CSX power on PAR at any 1 given time, both being used between Portland and CSX interchange on POSE/SEPO or WASE/SEWA.

Does CSX power still make it to Rigby or was that a short lived deal? If they are still showing up, is it still 2 sets of power?
 #914946  by MEC407

A couple of weeks ago when I was on the Downeaster, we passed some CSX power somewhere in Maine... might have been Rigby, might have been somewhere else... can't remember for sure... but yes, CSX power is still coming to Maine, apparently.

I think these are the threads you were looking for:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 55&t=74056

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 55&t=18625
 #914995  by KSmitty

MEC407 wrote:A couple of weeks ago when I was on the Downeaster, we passed some CSX power somewhere in Maine... might have been Rigby, might have been somewhere else... can't remember for sure... but yes, CSX power is still coming to Maine, apparently.

I think these are the threads you were looking for:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 55&t=74056

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 55&t=18625
Yes, those are the threads.
Thanks RT!

I figured with all the "new" six packs the run thru's might end, I guess they still must be power short, or just enjoy having someone elso provide power to move their trains. If only they could get CSX power to Waterville, then all the NBSR "Bluenose" service freight could travel interchange to interchange with no PAR power.
 #915011  by jaymac

If Tennessee Williams were still alive, he might want to consider a new play -- A Locomotive Named Desire -- in which PAR speaks Blanche's immortal line, "I have always relied on the kindness of strangers." CSX, PW, NS, even UP power brings a smile to our faces and a shine to the steel in various areas from upstate New York to Down East. All the borrowing solves problems short-term, but soon the hours will have to be paid back. Will the Smurf Alert get sighting postings from Florida? Or is PAR/S getting payback hours from NS in lieu of previously discussed/hoped-for NS loaners?
 #915029  by KSmitty

jaymac wrote:All the borrowing solves problems short-term, but soon the hours will have to be paid back.
True, except that PAR seems to usually have 2-3 GP's offline on CSX paying HPH. Plus how long did 382 parade around the NS system before finally retuning home? The borrowing is pretty sustainable. They are already paying back hours, and lucky for them, it seems that as long as they continue to make their minimum monthly payment, CSX isn't going to put a limit on their credit card/ err borrowing...

When you look at it, 2-3 GP40's is 6-9K hp, compared with the 4-6 SD70/AC44 or other comparable modern power from CSX @ any one given point at 16K hp or better, its kinda a win-win for PAR, unless someone screws up there is no associated maintenance and they have an extra 7K hp to play with.

But thats how I see it.
 #915182  by jaymac

No argument about the gains for PAR -- It gets to leverage the CSX v. NS competition to considerable benefit, but like other borrowers, it will face a reckoning.
 #1054330  by pnolette

I've noticed all this week there has been Pan Am power on SEPO into Portland.Anyone know if the CSX runthrough power has been stopped?
 #1054366  by MEC407

Moderator note: I found a few other threads on this subject and merged them into one consolidated thread.
 #1054444  by drcrf93

pnolette wrote:I've noticed all this week there has been Pan Am power on SEPO into Portland.Anyone know if the CSX runthrough power has been stopped?
Good question; I have noticed that too. Seems like every SEPO had CSX power for at least the past 7 months...
 #1054683  by merrman

A CSXTunit waspoint on POSJ today, left Rigby about 1200. I didn;t see them but heard
the Form D. I wrote the number down and when I get to it I will post it.

At Rigby, A BNSF unit was in a consist in front of the engine house, which I think is
POED's power, making it 3rd of 4 units. I will post these numbers later as well.