Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1575981  by R&DB

About today's Extech foolishness. Obviously Extech ordered the delivery. Why didn't they have their siding clear? And who pays to haul it back to Browns, store it and re-deliver?
 #1576019  by GSC

As far as the non-delivery of Extech's car, how is this handled? Bring it back next week, as the switch faces the wrong way? Are they charged for not being able to accept the car? Is the shipper charged for tying up a car for another week? How does the railroad handle it? I'm sure this isn't the first time something like this happened.
 #1576021  by Bracdude181

@GSC I’ve seen PR19 go down the Coast Line to CUTTERS siding to attempt a delivery only to find there was a big washout that prevented safe movement over the track, so they took the cars back and left them on the siding next to Motiva on the Garden State Secondary. (CP BARB)

I am not sure how exactly Conrail handles this sort of thing otherwise. It might depend on who Extech deals with to get their cars, (either NS or CSX) and there’s probably a charge somewhere for this sort of thing.

SA38 put the Extech car on the back at Cross Street and was not at all happy about the prospect of having to bring the car back, so it’s possible they left it somewhere. Probably either at Bel Ray or in downtown Lakewood if they indeed did not bring it back. I doubt they did Extech on the way back as they left Cross Street at 12:30 AM and had to be in Red Bank by 3:45 AM to be allowed on NJ Transit.

I can say that if someone like this happens once C&D comes down, there’s a price to pay. Between $250-$1000 dollars depending on what they consider the charge to be. (Ouch!)

Edit: The train is parked at Collingswood Auction.
 #1576032  by CR7876

Other than splitting the engines and putting the car in-between to get it into the siding, the only option is to take it back to Browns and try again next week. Putting the car on the rear helps when they get back to Browns as now its east out and easier to set out onto the Track with the Southern Cars.
 #1576035  by RailsEast

That's what I was thinking...put the lead unit onto Brick siding, pull the train past the switch, grab the boxcar from the hind end & make the spot.
Hey 7876, can Conrail run in push-pull fashion on the Coastline?
 #1576045  by CharlieL

@Bracdude: do you really feel a charge of $250 - $1,000 would be excessive for something that was the customer's fault? Lost time, figure 4 hours times 3 + crewmen at a loaded labor rate of $35/hr (loaded rate includes pay + pension + healthcare, etc)=$420. Add wear and tear of equipment, fuel and additional maintenance. Easily $1k for something that was NOT CRSA's fault. They're not a charity. They should at least break even.
 #1576048  by Bracdude181

Conrail has run push-pull on this line before, but only once as an experiment and I think it was the time 3022 broke down at Collingswood.
 #1576052  by Bracdude181

@CharlieL I think the $100 charge that Winchester and Western charges is a much fairer price to pay.

In fact, nearly ALL of their prices are lower than CSX, NS, and C&D. Service seems better too.

Maybe they should be the ones running the Southern/Freehold. With prices that low I could actually see them picking up some people around here!
 #1576057  by Tanker1497

RailsEast wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:26 pm That's what I was thinking...put the lead unit onto Brick siding, pull the train past the switch, grab the boxcar from the hind end & make the spot.
Hey 7876, can Conrail run in push-pull fashion on the Coastline?
They would not need too. The same way they got in the back they could get in the front.
Keep the train forward of the siding and allow the engine to drill extech pull back in siding
and back the whole train back up put engine back on front!
 #1576060  by CR7876

Bracdude181 wrote:@CharlieL I think the $100 charge that Winchester and Western charges is a much fairer price to pay.

In fact, nearly ALL of their prices are lower than CSX, NS, and C&D. Service seems better too.

Maybe they should be the ones running the Southern/Freehold. With prices that low I could actually see them picking up some people around here!
Are you talking about item 3120 - EMPTY OR LOADED RAILCARS ORDERED
IN - UNABLE TO PLACE - $100 (corrective charge) Per Car. $425 Per Car Per Switch

That would actually be $525.
 #1576456  by Bracdude181

SA31 has a PTC problem and cannot exceed 12 MPH.

Dispatch says get through the next interlocking and see if it goes away, then call them back.