Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1576484  by R&DB

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:44 pm
R&DB wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:04 pm
CharlieL wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:58 pm The way things are going, NJT should kick in some help to get Freehold-Farmingdale reconnected.
+Charlie, I'm pretty sure that was the reason for the grant.
Luckily the ROW is largely intact (minus track). This was part of the MOM proposal from 15+ years ago.
Charlie, this has been going on for more than 30 years. Should have been done decades ago.
EDIT : BTW most of the track is actually there, just burried.
 #1576486  by GSC

[/quote]
+Charlie, I'm pretty sure that was the reason for the grant. [/quote]
Luckily the ROW is largely intact (minus track). This was part of the MOM proposal from 15+ years ago.
[/quote]

I just looked at Google maps. The only encroachment I see is an electrical substation by Howell Road. There used to be a truss manufacturer along the ROW that encroached a little, but the satellite view doesn't show them anymore. The sat views need to be updated. They still show corn fields along Fairfield Road. Went by there today, they are all McMansion fields now. They went up quick!
 #1576489  by Bracdude181

As per SA22 there will be no train on the Southern tonight and possibly not tomorrow either as SA31s engineer is off on that day.
 #1576491  by CharlieL

Pretty sure the substation doesn't encroach, though it does butt up right against it.

@R36 Combine Coach, in case you haven't been following, NJ has approved a grant of 4+ mil to the Dover & Delaware RR to reconnect FIT and the southern, and perform some repairs and upgrades.
 #1576522  by JohnFromJersey

I know this belongs in the MOM category, and I think someone has mentioned it before, but could part of this grant be an experiment for a possible MOM? It seems like this is a great way for NJT to outsource the track upgrades, and NJT and C&D seem to have a better relationship than NJT and CSAO/the Class I's
 #1576529  by Bracdude181

@JohnFromJersey Perhaps, but for NJT to run their type of operation down here this area would need WAY more track work than what C&D is gonna do. Remember that the rail grant says the Southern Secondary will still be Class 1 track.

I think if we do get passenger rail around here, both the passenger and freight trains should be run by the same company, as it seems in NJ mixing passenger and freight rail from different companies causes nothing but problems. Maybe something along the lines of Brightline but with a service style more akin to commuter trains. (Brightline and Florida East Coast are both owned by the same investors group I believe) Maybe connect it with the Atlantic City Line and have a station at AC International Airport, have a sort of limited stop train between New York and Atlantic City.

Would be nice actually.
 #1576569  by Bracdude181

Through Hope Rd 5:33 PM

CSX 4432 leading with CSX 6228 trailing.

11 for Woodhaven and one car for Extech.

Here’s hoping we have a smooth run.