Railroad Forums 

• NS F-units and OCS in New York State - 8/22-25

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#964384  by K4Pacific

Harold the engineer on the Mohawk to Binghamton trip said the engines ran well, and the esthetics on the outside are beautiful, but the engines were a mess inside.
 #964401  by SteelRail

I'd estimate it was only doing 35 to 40 mph when it passed through Owego. The freight following it was moving much faster and likely started to catch yellow blocks before Waverly. Any word on what happened as it was leaving Binghamton?
 #964425  by scottychaos

K4Pacific wrote:Harold the engineer on the Mohawk to Binghamton trip said the engines ran well, and the esthetics on the outside are beautiful, but the engines were a mess inside.
Thats surprising.
when these units were being "built" for their current service with the OCS, a few years ago, I thought we read that they were all significantly rebuilt and upgraded..
I recall reading something like: "they are essentially GP38-2's in fancy clothes"..Were they perhaps not all upgraded to the same levels?

Scot
 #964470  by Dick H

The word "mess" could mean many things from dirty cabs, worn seats and the like.
Or oily and grimey engine compartments and/or a hodge-poge of old and new parts,
wiring and the like from the rebuild job. Or any combination of these items. Seems
like there were some details on the rebuild job in railfan magazines at the time the
locos were released from the Altoona shop, but I do not recall any specifics.