Railroad Forums 

• River LINE/Atlantic City connection considered

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#339847  by NJTRailfan

This should've been done when the River Line was under construction. all you need is a structure about 2/10ths the size of the Secaucus Transfer and there you go.
 #339877  by Douglas John Bowen

But when the political home team (Camden County) declares the River Line won't help it, and it won't do anything for it, and therefore no one should bother with a transfer, then such useful items don't ... get ... built.

Burlington County (the River Line's true champion, even more than NJ-ARP was) tried to advance the transfer concept to any and all who would listen. But the site was (and is) across the border, and Burlco's clout was limited.

For the rest of us advancing the project, that meant pursuing the River Line without a transfer to the Atlantic City Line. After all, "conventional wisdom" by others (not Burlco) decreed that "everyone" was going to Philadelphia anyway, and they could get there via Walter Rand. Who the heck would travel intrastate?

Our choice was to forgo the transfer, or give up on the project. We chose the former, in the sincere hope that we'd return to the subject matter in the future. As indeed we all have here.

#339942  by Irish Chieftain

I'm still convinced that Pennsauken would remain dead-against it. Not only is it a non-peripheral River Line station; it also puts a station for the AC Line somewhere within Pennsauken's borders, which would be unacceptable to that town's NIMBYs in general. (Note how there is no Pennsauken ACL station at what should be the most obvious location for one, the Westfield Avenue grade crossing. Note further the locations of the River Line stations that are ostensibly for Pennsauken—Route 73, on its northern border with Palmyra, and 36th Street, right on the border with Camden.)

IMHO, unless they increase ACL service to match that of the River Line, the utility of a transfer station will be very low. And it's still not lost on some people that the present-day River Line used to be the route that former Pennsylvania RR trains took between NY Penn and Atlantic City…

#340447  by korbermeister

what is this junction near? can the land around it be developed?

#347253  by acs85

I heard in the NJT forum that there is some planning being done to increase service on the ACL, both the express service, and increased service overall (not 100% sure on the latter).

#468018  by Septaman113

Speaking of the Riverline - ACL connection, how are the plans for that going? Any new news?

#468099  by CHIP72

In a broader sense, it's a shame there aren't connections to the AC Line at ANY of the possible connection sites west of the PATCO/AC Line connection at Lindenwald (with the RiverLINE, Market-Frankford El, or SEPTA PRR north lines/Amtrak at North Philadelphia Station). I never really understood that.

Hopefully a RiverLINE/AC Line connection will be built someday.
korbermeister wrote:what is this junction near? can the land around it be developed?
I've only been on the RiverLINE twice, but if I remember correctly the land near the connection site is largely undeveloped. I'm unsure what kind of roadway access there is at this location. Others can probably provide more detailed information.

#468101  by Septaman113

CHIP72 wrote:In a broader sense, it's a shame there aren't connections to the AC Line at ANY of the possible connection sites west of the PATCO/AC Line connection at Lindenwald (with the RiverLINE, Market-Frankford El, or SEPTA PRR north lines/Amtrak at North Philadelphia Station). I never really understood that.

Hopefully a RiverLINE/AC Line connection will be built someday.
korbermeister wrote:what is this junction near? can the land around it be developed?
I've only been on the RiverLINE twice, but if I remember correctly the land near the connection site is largely undeveloped. I'm unsure what kind of roadway access there is at this location. Others can probably provide more detailed information.

Its actually in Delair,NJ. If you go south on River Road coming from Pennsauken,you'll go under neath the Betsy Ross bridge and the come to a intersection. Make a right on Derousse Ave and go down a little, and you come to the Riverline crossing at it will be on you left. There are homes around there but thats about it.
Last edited by Septaman113 on Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#468164  by chuchubob

Septaman113 wrote:
Its actually in Delair,NJ. If you go south on River Road coming from Pennsauken,you'll go under neath the Betsy Ross brodge and the come to a intersection. Make a right on Derousse Ave and go down a little, and you come to the Riverline crossing at it will be on you left. There are homes around there but thats about it.[/quote]

Point of information: Delair is a section of Pennsauken.

#468218  by Septaman113

chuchubob wrote:
Septaman113 wrote:
Its actually in Delair,NJ. If you go south on River Road coming from Pennsauken,you'll go under neath the Betsy Ross brodge and the come to a intersection. Make a right on Derousse Ave and go down a little, and you come to the Riverline crossing at it will be on you left. There are homes around there but thats about it.
Point of information: Delair is a section of Pennsauken.[/quote]

You're right. Delair is a part of Pennsauken Township. My parents had friend that lived in Delair and I could be wrong, but I think their mailing address they used "Delair NJ" .It was 35 years ago and I was 7 at the time,so I'm not sure.

#468237  by finsuburbia

Septaman113 wrote:
chuchubob wrote:
Septaman113 wrote:
Its actually in Delair,NJ. If you go south on River Road coming from Pennsauken,you'll go under neath the Betsy Ross brodge and the come to a intersection. Make a right on Derousse Ave and go down a little, and you come to the Riverline crossing at it will be on you left. There are homes around there but thats about it.
Point of information: Delair is a section of Pennsauken.

You're right. Delair is a part of Pennsauken Township. My parents had friend that lived in Delair and I could be wrong, but I think their mailing address they used "Delair NJ" .It was 35 years ago and I was 7 at the time,so I'm not sure.
According to Google Maps, it is a section of Pennsauken.

#470998  by AMoreira81

Irish Chieftain wrote:I'm still convinced that Pennsauken would remain dead-against it. Not only is it a non-peripheral River Line station; it also puts a station for the AC Line somewhere within Pennsauken's borders, which would be unacceptable to that town's NIMBYs in general. (Note how there is no Pennsauken ACL station at what should be the most obvious location for one, the Westfield Avenue grade crossing. Note further the locations of the River Line stations that are ostensibly for Pennsauken—Route 73, on its northern border with Palmyra, and 36th Street, right on the border with Camden.)

IMHO, unless they increase ACL service to match that of the River Line, the utility of a transfer station will be very low. And it's still not lost on some people that the present-day River Line used to be the route that former Pennsylvania RR trains took between NY Penn and Atlantic City…
However, if the station were made a transfer station (no parking, one had to take a train from elsewhere on the line to access it), would that quiet the NIMBYs, or would that be basically an end run around them?

#470999  by AMoreira81

Irish Chieftain wrote:I'm still convinced that Pennsauken would remain dead-against it. Not only is it a non-peripheral River Line station; it also puts a station for the AC Line somewhere within Pennsauken's borders, which would be unacceptable to that town's NIMBYs in general. (Note how there is no Pennsauken ACL station at what should be the most obvious location for one, the Westfield Avenue grade crossing. Note further the locations of the River Line stations that are ostensibly for Pennsauken—Route 73, on its northern border with Palmyra, and 36th Street, right on the border with Camden.)

However, if the station were made a transfer station (no parking, one had to take a train from elsewhere on the line to access it), would that quiet the NIMBYs, or would that be basically an end run around them?