Railroad Forums 

• Hoosier State Discussion (both Amtrak and Iowa Pacific)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1419697  by justalurker66

That is the way I read it as well (not quite what is quoted in the most recent article).

IPH expected to earn more money by improving service on the train and increasing revenue ... which they did. They did not expect OTP bonuses to come out of their increased revenue.
 #1419701  by Alcochaser

Well that and CSXT poured a bunch of money into the railroad too. No one predicted that. This more then anything caused the train to run well ahead of schedule.

To me this announcement coming out days after CSXT raised the speeds on the Crawfordsville connection from stop and proceed, to 20mph signaled connection is no coincidence. OTP will only improve from what it was.

I just looked and Amtrak said Hoosier State OTP for the last twelve months was eightytwo percent. Someone would have told you were nuts if you said it would be that when the contract was signed. And this is with the stupid UP yard inerfearance at Dolton.
 #1419710  by justalurker66

Not to mention that Amtrak moved their deadheads from the Hoosier State to the Cardinal. If Amtrak would have moved those cars on the Hoosier State it would have increased IPH's income. Anyone looking at the history of how the Hoosier State ran would expect that income ... but the operation changed.

Oh well ... it will be over at the end of the month. Then we will see what Amtrak will do for services and operations.
 #1419776  by Tadman

I'm a bit puzzled how IP didn't require a minimum revenue in the INDOT contract, and perhaps a continuation of the deadheads from Amtrak. It's not like other firms were jumping to take this contract, you had the mystery of Corridor Capital which didn't seem to actually have a train to run. Who else bid? Could the state go back out for bid?
 #1419780  by electricron

Corridor Capital would have leased rolling stock for the Hosier State much like Iowa Pacific did. IP took months getting the rolling stock they used up to snuff to meet Amtrak's requirements. Corridor Capital might have done it faster, who knows?

What will be interesting is what IP will do with this rolling stock no longer needed in Indiana, could it be used in Oklahoma?
 #1419790  by Tadman

I don't think it was quite that simple. IP had a few cars and locomotives that were essentially ready to go, and Amtrak looked for every opportunity to nit pick them. You can get guys to say this off record.

Corridor capital, on the other hand, had a "good idea" to use the retired Hi-Level cars that had not been purchased or cleaned up. They had no experience running a railroad before and wanted the state to finance their rehab project. It was a non-starter and I'm surprised Indiana even took them seriously.
 #1419797  by electricron

I'm not surprised Indiana took every proposal seriously. As it was, Amtrak continued to run the trains. Corridor Capital could have hired a third party to maintain the rolling stock they bought or leased, there's plenty commuter rail operators to choose from that have the experience to do so.
 #1419816  by justalurker66

Corridor Capital was a shell game. They have the bi-levels ready for someone else to refurbish and put back into service but they couldn't run a railroad. IP had cars ready to go (and still do - cars beyond the Hoosier State consist). IP have engines. Corridor Capital was not ready to go.

Amtrak's strict requirements for the Hoosier State were stricter than the private varnish rules they were accustomed to and in some ways IP was held to higher standards than Amtrak's own equipment. The Hoosier State had more inspections per mile than any other train Amtrak operated ... and especially in the early days, Amtrak seemed to take great joy in IP failing an inspection.
 #1419830  by Backshophoss

Stored at an IP yard,since they are SLRG lettered,sent to Alamosa,or sold off if IP enters Bankruptcy status.
Most Private Cars are not in constant use daily,the IP cars on the Hoosier State were in constant daily use,
in service runs and then deadheaded for staging purposes.
 #1421028  by Alcochaser

You won't see anything running on the L&I former Kentucky Cardinal route that has anything to remotely to do with Amtrak.

As part of the CSXT operating easement over the L&I, the contract expressly stated that L&I had to terminate immediately any and all agreements with Amtrak. Thus no Amtrak derby train.

It is a shame, as CSXT is pouring mega bucks into the L&I route that makes the monon upgrades look like chump change. Traffic is heavy on the Seymour to Louisville segment.