• Hoosier State Discussion (both Amtrak and Iowa Pacific)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by John_Perkowski

ADMIN NOTE:

Please divert all further discussion of broader Iowa Pacific Holdings passenger operations to this thread in the Iowa Pacific Holdings Family board.

Thank you very much!
  by Gilbert B Norman

Video of the "Post-Ellis" 851(1) Hoosier State:

https://youtu.be/TJDxafs1eZw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bets, anyone on how long the last two cars in the consist shown will last?
  by justalurker66

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Bets, anyone on how long the last two cars in the consist shown will last?
The dome is for March only (as announced) ... so unless you are betting that it will continue past March or be pulled early that car has an expiration set.

The food service and business class should continue ... pessimism says until the contract renews in May. But there is hope that Amtrak will continue the service level.
  by Arborwayfan

After the dome finished it's month on the Hoosier State, it apparently headed for a turn in Illinois: I was in Urbana, IL, with my son for the model railroad show there (in Lincoln Square), and we decided to watch one or both of the Illinis go by at speed outside of town. As it turned out we missed the northbound but we were in Tolono for the southbound. At first I thought it was running with a locomotive at each end, but then my son realized it was the full-length dome car! It's most of the way to Carbondale now, so it won't be leaving Indy at 6 tomorrow morning.
Last edited by Arborwayfan on Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Tadman

Any word on what kind of biz class they have this year? Real 2+1 seating or 2+2 make-a-bizclass?

Also, no done in may, right?
  by Alcochaser

Arborwayfan wrote:After the dome finished it's month on the Hoosier State, it apparently headed for a turn in Illinois: I was in Urbana, IL, with my son for the model railroad show there (in Lincoln Square), and we decided to watch one or both of the Illinis go by at speed outside of town. As it turned out we missed the northbound but we were in Tolono for the southbound. At first I thought it was running with a locomotive at each end, but then my son realized it was the full-length dome car! It's most of the way to Carbondale now, so it won't be leaving Indy at 6 tomorrow morning.
Amtrak decided to put it on that train to help fulfill the dumb CN axle count demands. The six axles on that car go a long way. They usually haul 3 heritage baggage cars for nothing more then to raise the axle count.
  by bdawe

Is there a good reason to haul around copious non-revenue cars instead of just hauling coaches and selling cheaper tickets?
  by Greg Moore

Because the market wouldn't use the seats and given the limited number of coaches Amtrak has, they're better off keeping coaches on routes like the NEC where they can maximize the income per seat.
  by electricron

Amtrak runs the Big Dome car around as a non revenue car, Iowa Pacific was running it as a revenue car, and that's a significant difference. I'm not sure if Amtrak sells gedunks and drinks from the cafe on its lower level or not - because the trains it is usually used on has a dedicated food service car.
Even the Superliner Sightseer Lounge cars generate some revenues from the cafe from the lower level.
  by Jeff Smith

Ridership gains under Amtrak: ProgressiveRailroading.com
April ridership on Amtrak's Hoosier State train service grew 11.6 percent to 2,034 passengers compared to the same month last year.

Revenue last month also rose 11.6 percent to $62,099, said Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) spokesman Will Wingfield.

In addition, on-time performance since October was 85 percent, including more than 90 percent in March, according to an InDOT press release.
  by Alcochaser

Man if you told me that the Hoosier State woul have near 90 percent on time performance even four years ago. I would have said you were completely crazy.
  by east point

Before the schedule change 851 often arrived 15 - 30 minutes early at CHI. Cardinal of course not as well but did have some early arrivals CHI.
  by Arlington

Would we expect progress with the Chicago-metro CREATE project to start making OTP easier?
  by justalurker66

Arlington wrote:Would we expect progress with the Chicago-metro CREATE project to start making OTP easier?
One would need to look at any improvements on the path the Hoosier State takes or that would affect that path.

I don't believe there are any completed CREATE projects that would affect the Hoosier State.

There have been a couple of changes along the path. The Dolton Interlocking was cut over to CTC earlier this year. A few years ago CSX took over dispatching of the two CN interlockings that the Hoosier State passes through. The junction in Crawfordsville is no longer a manual throw switch. Anything else change?
  by Alcochaser

Yeah the Monon between Maynard and Crawfordsville got significant upgrades intended for Magnetation in Reynolds.

Two new CTC sidings have been added as well as CTC connection switches at various places along the Monon, including Ames which was a hand throw slow connection.

Then magnetation went bankrupt. So all the freight trains meant for the upgrades stoped running.

CSX oddly hasn't stopped the upgrades. The Ex GTW line is getting resignaled. And there has been survey and land purchase work on the Crawfordsville to Indianapolis line to add another CTC siding.

The interlockings controlling Union station in Indianapolis are getting replaced too.