• Hoosier State Discussion (both Amtrak and Iowa Pacific)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Alcochaser

More to the point. They are trying to fly just under the radar with respect to PTC. They are routing just automotive traffic now. But even a couple Amtrak specials would trigger the PTC mandate.
  by mtuandrew

L&I isn't a signatory to RPSA or any of the follow-up agreements, so it'd mean negotiating with the railroad rather than claiming the right to usage. CSX doesn't own the road, and unless they gain full control (51% or more) it isn't subject to the same rules. (Does Amtrak even have preemption rights on signatory railroads anymore, aside from existing routes?)

Maybe if the Feds, Indiana, and Kentucky offered a fat wad of cash to L&I, with which that road could leverage influence with Jacksonville, things would change re: a Kentucky Cardinal. Otherwise, I'm sure a Hoosier extension Bloomington via the Indiana Rail Road would be welcome given the right investment.
  by JimBoylan

Alcochaser wrote:More to the point. They are trying to fly just under the radar with respect to PTC. They are routing just automotive traffic now. But even a couple Amtrak specials would trigger the PTC mandate.
The bar seems to be between 6 and 7 round trips per day over on the Downeaster route. Will "even a couple" CSXT or L&I specials be a problem?
  by nomis

In signalled territory, 6 RT, and in unsignalled territory 2 RT's are the maximum passenger trains you can run without PTC.
  by Gilbert B Norman

It would appear that the IPH Hoosier State 850 made its final run on Sunday:

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/a ... ice--50969" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fair Use:
Iowa Pacific chose to end its involvement in the Hoosier State service because the company is "reducing marginal business units to focus on its core business," Iowa Pacific President Ed Ellis said in an email last month
Gotta wonder what is their core business.

Let's see how long the Dome Car and table Dining service that Progressive Railroading notes will last.
  by Alcochaser

I AM SHOCKED.

Amtrak actually agreed to pull 10031 off the Reno Fun Train?!?!?!?!?!

Dome car the link says is MARCH ONLY.
  by justalurker66

Gilbert B Norman wrote:It would appear that the IPH Hoosier State 850 made its final run on Sunday:
The final IPH run was Tuesday morning. The Cardinal runs Tuesday evening.
The final run was led by 4135 as the sole engine on the train. All color coordinated.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Lurker, to amplify upon your report, 850 (27) and 851 (28) were the final IPH runs.

My first report was erroneous.
  by Backshophoss

IPH's "core" business is shortline freight rail services.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Here are two short videos of "last run" 850(27FEB):

https://youtu.be/s9bPf0iC4HI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://youtu.be/v7C6wu-ajxw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe one of 851(28FEB) will "surface".

Any bets on how long it will take Amtrak's 850-851 to lose the "amenities", namely the Dome and the "Cardinal/Lake Shore" Dining service?
  by justalurker66

Amtrak has promised the dome through the end of March. I expect the other amenities to last until May when the contract for what Amtrak will continue to provide will be finished. But if there is a car shortage and the car is needed elsewhere perhaps the Hoosier State will be the loser.

The biggest change I expect is to see hospital cars back on the Hoosier State. The train is running from Chicago to Beech Grove, it might as well take broken cars. And Amtrak won't have to pay IPH for the haul.
  by Rockingham Racer

John_Perkowski wrote:Next run out. Betcha: 2 horizons, 1 AmCafe.
Apparently you haven't heard. Ocean View is running in March.
  by Gilbert B Norman

It appears that this columnist does not have the greatest regard for how the Ellis Gang ran the Hoosier State:

Lafayette Journal and Courier

Fair Use:
Iowa Pacific’s Hoosier State train has a lot working against it.

First, there’s the long trip time. Three and a half hours to travel between Lafayette and Chicago, a two-hour drive away.

Then there’s the limited schedule. Only one train per day, four days per week. (Its sister train, Amtrak’s Cardinal, handles the other three days.)

And there are the freight railroads on whose track the Hoosier State runs. Freight railroads prioritize their own trains, meaning the Hoosier State’s operational destiny is largely out of its own hands.

All of that aside, Iowa Pacific has a lot working against it internally, as well. And my experiences riding the train Monday night suggest its wounds are largely self-inflicted
While a joyride on both the Pullman Rail and the Hoosier State "X'd my mind", I could not discount how UNOHOO stuck good friends of mine with his Golden Arrow fiasco during the '70's, as well as my 2013 "one click away" experience with PRJ that was simply "too close a shave". Suffice to say, I would have been out some "heap big wampum". A Hoosier State joyride would have involved a bit less scratch, but now that major brand hotels all require 24hr notice to cancel, I would not have been able "to walk away clean" if Hoosier State passengers at CUS were ushered up to Canal Street for a "Bustetoot" to Lafayette.

I wholly concur with Col. Perkowski's immediate thought of not expecting the Dome or the "Table Service" dining to last for long. Hoosier State will be back to its two Coaches with no F&B before you know it - and on the "QT".
  by John_Perkowski

As an aside, I went to the Pullman Rail Journeys website and found this:
pullman111.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.