Railroad Forums 

• Interesting Consist Discussion for the South Side

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1347230  by BandA

8th Notch wrote:This isn't the Mid 80's or 90's anymore.... I'm not defending the company, the trains should be adequately staffed (which I'm sure Keolis is in the process of doing) however the doors do bind and the traps don't always operate properly so they do pose safety issues for people who are not trained on the equipment. Quite a few crew members have been hurt in the past from malfunctioning doors and traps, the equipment is old. Let's be realistic here, where is the money going to come from to install full high level platforms at each station? Sorry to say but if you are hurt doing something you shouldn't be then it's your own fault, you shouldn't be messing with any of the external doors unless it was an emergency PERIOD.
Framingham line:
BOS: high
BBY: low
Yawkey: high
Newtonville: low
 #1347231  by 8th Notch

I'm pretty well qualified on that line so I'm aware which stations have what type of platforms, not to mention you are talking about one line where there is a whole system.... Getting off topic now so I will leave it at that, you guys can argue your points all you want but the rules are in place for a reason and I'm not just speaking from a buff's standpoint.
 #1347264  by ck4049

It grinds my gears to see passengers opening their own doors because 97% of the time when they do that they have the habit of exiting the train before it has come to a full and complete stop. So if I ever catch someone opening their own door I will identify them to the conductor immediately.
 #1347266  by sery2831

The issue with passengers opening doors is one, there is no one present to close them. Trains now cannot move with any exterior doors open. This is the biggest Federal rule change in recent times that has effected the operation of a passenger train. The days of the Conductor walking back through the train after leaving a station to close doors are gone.

While some passengers have knowledge on how to use the doors and where and when are fine. There are some passengers that see other passengers doing this and don't know they have some basic know leg of the operation. These passengers get other passengers hurt. They open doors on the wrong side, or when the train is about to depart because they were possibly not paying attention and now need to get off. This is why his day and age passengers should never operate exterior doors.

I have a situation on my rush hour train at Salem. It's now a full high level station. Passengers open the doors and exit themselves. Seems all fine, right? The issue tourists now flood on board the train going to Boston. No one is there to tell them the train to Boston is in five minutes. We close the open doors, depart with the people going he wrong way. The train to Boston passes us before we hit Beverly. These people are now stuck for over an hour. But the people leaving the train do not care about anyone else. People opening the doors only delays trains or creates a long day for other people.

End of the story, enjoy the memories of the days you could open doors.

Let's get back on topic!
 #1351305  by Komarovsky

ST214 wrote:2032 and 2003 currently together in Worcester layover on a full K/R set. Strange to see a pair of HSPs on a set.
A few weeks ago there was another double HSP set in Worcester for 508/527 that stuck around for about 2 weeks and then was broken up. IIRC 2003 was one of the two that time as well.
 #1351949  by Frode

Had an actual MBB car (didn't get the number) in the middle of the consist for the 8:15 Wickford Junction train from South Station (train #825) last night. I didn't see any control car equipment inside so I wonder if they are pulling some non-control car MBB's back into service to ease the shortage?
 #1351959  by Diverging Route

Frode wrote:Had an actual MBB car (didn't get the number) in the middle of the consist for the 8:15 Wickford Junction train from South Station (train #825) last night. I didn't see any control car equipment inside so I wonder if they are pulling some non-control car MBB's back into service to ease the shortage?
NETransit has shown 502, 504, 527 as "active Southside," so you probably saw one of these.
 #1353112  by Diverging Route

An HSP pulling a five-car set of flats this morning on the south side. You'd think they'd try to keep these on the bigger sets.

Also seen, Rotem-Flat-Flat-Rotem-Flat-GP.

Finally, 704 this morning had 1814 leading 709, then 745, another K, and two flats. 745 is a rebuild, and its PTIS was working well (time, date, station info) with information trainlined from 1814 through un-rebuilt 709.
 #1353681  by Frode

Diverging Route wrote:An HSP pulling a five-car set of flats this morning on the south side. You'd think they'd try to keep these on the bigger sets.
That set was used on the 6:10 to Providence train last night. Standing room only. I asked the conductor about the short set and he said it's a back-up set replacing the train we were supposed to have. It does seem odd they keep an HSP on a "back-up" set.