• Interesting Consist Discussion for the South Side

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by dbperry

BandA wrote:Yesterday, about 9:15AM Monday 2015-Jul-27, saw an MBTA train westbound near Cottage Farm on the Framingham-Worcester line with one of the older MBTA engines, three single-level "T" coaches, Amtrak Corridor Clipper, and another "T" coach (control car?). Wonder if this was an extra or a revenue consist? Assume they were testing track either on this line or heading to the grand junction?

It was bizarre to see an Amtrak Amfleet in the middle of an MBTA train!
Is it correct to assume that the extra MBTA coaches are just there for braking effort? Need a minimum number of cars to operate a train? [The control coach is obviously needed for push-pull operation]
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

BandA wrote:Yesterday, about 9:15AM Monday 2015-Jul-27, saw an MBTA train westbound near Cottage Farm on the Framingham-Worcester line with one of the older MBTA engines, three single-level "T" coaches, Amtrak Corridor Clipper, and another "T" coach (control car?). Wonder if this was an extra or a revenue consist? Assume they were testing track either on this line or heading to the grand junction?

It was bizarre to see an Amtrak Amfleet in the middle of an MBTA train!
just as info, the loco was the 1053
  by Bramdeisroberts

I just saw 2026 and 4 bilevels heading down the Fairmount line. I was under the impression that 4 coaches was too short of a consist for the signalling system there, am I right?
  by nomis

20 axles is the "limit" ... so 4 coaches is fine
  by 8th Notch

Bramdeisroberts wrote:I just saw 2026 and 4 bilevels heading down the Fairmount line. I was under the impression that 4 coaches was too short of a consist for the signalling system there, am I right?
You can run with a short consist but you will be restricted to 30 mph.
  by sery2831

Four car sets are fine for normal speed. Anything less you are capped at 30.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

for those keeping track, as of today, 8/4 there are 9, 4 car sets floating around South Side. Only 129 B/L's in service, and 79 single level cars totaling 208 cars in service South Side...and 13 HSP's on sets
  by chrisf

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:for those keeping track, as of today, 8/4 there are 9, 4 car sets floating around South Side. Only 129 B/L's in service, and 79 single level cars totaling 208 cars in service South Side...and 13 HSP's on sets
Amazing that Keolis just can't make any improvements in service. Slippery rail season and winter should be interesting (again.)
  by boblothrope

sery2831 wrote:Four car sets are fine for normal speed. Anything less you are capped at 30.
Is this unusual for commuter railroads in the U.S.? I thought I've seen stuff like 2-car EMU sets on SEPTA.
  by nomis

Short consists aren't very uncommon, but Septa & NJT run their shortest consists using EMU's in wired Electric land, which requires specialized equipment in the signal system since the rails act as the return circuit for the propulsion. The only other notable consist minimum size requirement besides the MBTA is the CN for Amtrak Illinois services, and IIRC, that's 32 axles or a speed restriction comes out.
  by Gerry6309

nomis wrote:Short consists aren't very uncommon, but Septa & NJT run their shortest consists using EMU's in wired Electric land, which requires specialized equipment in the signal system since the rails act as the return circuit for the propulsion. The only other notable consist minimum size requirement besides the MBTA is the CN for Amtrak Illinois services, and IIRC, that's 32 axles or a speed restriction comes out.
The local Commuter Rail (PC & B&M) used to run a GP-9 and one coach on the Needham Line and single RDCs on many routes.
  by Backshophoss

RDC's don't always shunt track circuts,a single RDC would run under absolute block between Block stations and/or
Interlockings. NO trains opposing or following the single RDC.
Both PC and CR ran absolute block for passenger trains in single track territory.
  by Frode

4 car set on the 6:10 from South Station to Providence last night - 3 bilevels and a single. It was standing room only. They must really be short of rolling stock - this is a rush hour train!