• Interesting Consist Discussion for the South Side

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Frode

Had that same 5-car set of flats on the 6:10 Providence again Wednesday. It's almost becoming standard operating procedure (it happens at least 2 or 3 times a week lately). It's fine for me - I get on at South Station and get a seat, but almost everyone who gets on at Back Bay ends up standing, never mind Ruggles. I've complained about it before to the T via the customer service link on their website but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Once in a while I can understand. On a regular basis that set is just wholly inadequate for a rush hour train on the Providence line.
  by dbperry

P527 on the Framingham Worcester was reported to have two locos on 10/22/2015: 1053 and 2008. Control coach 1818.
  by nomis

It's been like that all week, for 500 in the morning. Sometimes I specifically noticed it on 527, but always at Worcester...
  by johnpbarlow

Two engines on 527 tonight Thurs 10/29. When I saw it pull into BOS engine first I thought it might be the Pats game train but that doesn't leave for another 95 minutes.
  by Frode

Two engines on Train 808 on the Providence line this morning, too. MPI HSP-46 #2030 on the front (inbound) end. Not sure which engine was doing the motive work, but both were running.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Frode wrote:Two engines on Train 808 on the Providence line this morning, too. MPI HSP-46 #2030 on the front (inbound) end. Not sure which engine was doing the motive work, but both were running.
both engines have been running online, and varies each day to which one supplies the HEP
  by Frode

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:
Frode wrote:Two engines on Train 808 on the Providence line this morning, too. MPI HSP-46 #2030 on the front (inbound) end. Not sure which engine was doing the motive work, but both were running.
both engines have been running online, and varies each day to which one supplies the HEP
Two engines again this morning on Train 808. Why two engines on that train? Breaking in #2030 with a spare just in case?
  by octr202

Is it possible that Keolis is starting to just put two units on some heavy trains pre-emptively? With so many HSPs on the property, maybe there's enough power around to start adding second units as insurance against a failure?
  by nomis

508 had 2 engines as well this morning, seems like the longest and biggest get the double power.
  by Frode

nomis wrote:508 had 2 engines as well this morning, seems like the longest and biggest get the double power.
That makes sense. Train 808 is an 8-car set of double-deckers and almost every seat is full. That's got to be quite a load!
  by ohalloranchris

octr202 wrote:Is it possible that Keolis is starting to just put two units on some heavy trains pre-emptively? With so many HSPs on the property, maybe there's enough power around to start adding second units as insurance against a failure?
The Providence and Franklin lines also have 8 car bi-level sets (fully packed with passengers), but each only has a single locomotive.
  by dbperry

octr202 wrote:Is it possible that Keolis is starting to just put two units on some heavy trains pre-emptively? With so many HSPs on the property, maybe there's enough power around to start adding second units as insurance against a failure?
Perhaps extra traction in case of getting stuck due to 'slippery rails?'

Can two MBTA locos be married to both provide motive power similar to a freight train multiple loco consist?
  by leviramsey

ohalloranchris wrote:
The Providence and Franklin lines also have 8 car bi-level sets (fully packed with passengers), but each only has a single locomotive.
"some".

Also, 808 has been noted as getting this treatment, so at least one Providence line train gets dual locos.
  by The EGE

You're fighting the hill the whole way on Worcester outbounds. Even though the grade is never that awful in one place, it still makes schedule keeping difficult with a heavy train. Providence has the Sharon Hill, but otherwise it's pretty smooth sailing.
  by 8th Notch

dbperry wrote:
Perhaps extra traction in case of getting stuck due to 'slippery rails?'

Can two MBTA locos be married to both provide motive power similar to a freight train multiple loco consist?
Yes it works the same way as running push pull with a regular control car.