Railroad Forums 

• Southern Tier - East of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1062859  by K4Pacific

Easy does it folks. I love the passion on here. The plans are in place. When the trigger is pulled, it will take place. NS operations in Binghamton didn't even know CP's plans to jettison their footprint on the D&H. "Huh?!" NS Northumberland crews coming to Binghamton to handle jobs on the account of vacations and the like. Like the union rep said, "We're the last to know." Didn't even know total Elmira Yard rebuild was taking place this week, plus the viaduct east and CP-Horseheads. Stay cool. Relax. They will start up just as quickly as they pulled out of Meadville.
 #1063031  by poppyl

Which was the result of AES laying up Cayuga and Greenidge. BTW, is NS still hauling coal to Bow? If so, will the pool be reestablished if Cayuga comes back?

Poppyl
 #1063151  by SecaucusJunction

I would suspect that the first NS train will run east of Binghamton when no one is suspecting it and the people at Croxton will br wondering what is coming in to the opposite end of their yard...
 #1063152  by DutchRailnut

I think thats the plan, NS is planning to run stealth trains east of Bingo, they run under the railfan radar for obvious reasons.
 #1063169  by blockline4180

DutchRailnut wrote:I think thats the plan, NS is planning to run stealth trains east of Bingo, they run under the railfan radar for obvious reasons.

LOL, there you go making false claims about people as if you know them personally!!

For the record SJ is not some guy posting under the "railfan radar" as you may call it! He actually works with TOFC container trains as part of his job and talks to NS reps at least a few times a month!!! In fact, he likes to distance himself from the foamer type railfans as much as he can....

Him and K4 probably know more about what is going on with the Eastern Tier then you ever will!
 #1063238  by poppyl

malfunctjct wrote:There hasn't been a bow train in quite sometime. I thought I read somewhere that they were taking the Bow plant offline due to low demand.
Thanks. That sure sounds like a familar story for coal fired plants these days. Obviously no need for a pool if Cayuga is the only customer.

Poppyl
 #1063244  by charlie6017

Autoblock wrote:Surface work completed thru Callicoon and what looks to be about 20 sections of welded rail have been dropped off in Hankins.
Thanks for that update!

The optimist in me says that we'll see these trains in due time.......when it comes, I
will be making a trip to see the action! :-)

Charlie
 #1063288  by L&HR C&S

>>>20 sections of welded rail have been dropped off in Hankins

they are 80' sections of new rail for upcoming grade crossing work. Skinner's crossing to be rebuilt next week, Germantown later this year, Main St. Callicoon next year.
 #1063482  by SecaucusJunction

Impressive. I think it has probably been a long time since the tier east of Binghamton has looked this good. Definitely not since NS took over....
 #1063500  by Autoblock

I should have posted this before but at the end of the season last year the section of track and the timbers on the siding were pulled up from the bridge in Deposit and what i believe to be new timbers are sitting down by the feed mill.