• Conway Scenic Railroad Discussion (CSRX) - 2010

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by b&m 1566

Does anyone know how the Gala Dinner Train, New Years Eve Night turn out? Were both dinner cars used and was it the 573 and 4266 powering the train?
  by CSRR573

Ya I was on it too. That 302 crossong was packed! Was it just me or did it seem that the train was traveling alot slower then usual this year? I did hear something on the radio about some pipe under the dome car so maybe that had something to do with it
  by #7470

I did notice the slow slow speed of the train but we were right on schedule. So its hard to say really. What car were you in? I was in Mt. Whilley
  by Ogema SPR

Hi Folks,

I am a board member of Southern Prairie Railway out of Ogema, Saskatchewan, Canada. We are currently in the process of finalizing the purchase and transport of Ge 44-tonner CSRX #15. This locomotive will be the first unit purchased by our newly formed tourist railway with a 1920's era Pullman passenger car coming out of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. We intend on having the 44-tonner operational by the summer of 2011 with practice runs taking place in the fall and an official start in the Spring of 2012.

We will be chronicling the journey of CSRX #15 from Conway to Ogema on our website and/or blog over the next few months as we intend on transporting it by rail. If any of you have any stories/pictures/videos of #15 that you could send my way it would be greatly appreciated. Just send my a personal message or post them on the board.

Our website is http://www.southernprairierailway.com. Also, our community website is http://www.ogema.ca

Thanks and we look forward to giving CSRX #15 a good home and many, many more years of use.

Kyle L.
  by cogger

b&m 1566 wrote:Does anyone know how the Gala Dinner Train, New Years Eve Night turn out? Were both dinner cars used and was it the 573 and 4266 powering the train?
I'm not sure it even happened. I tried to get ticket information. I never got any more information than what was posted that one time on Face Book. Neither the website nor a phone call seemed to shed any light on the event.
  by schwab21

#7470 wrote:I did notice the slow slow speed of the train but we were right on schedule. So its hard to say really. What car were you in? I was in Mt. Whilley
The train was moving slowly because there were several mentally challenged persons who thought it was ok to stand on the tracks to take pictures. These people were everywhere Sunday. At Sawyers River, people had tripods set up in the gauge as the train was bearing down on them. Everybody would have enjoyed a nice view of the steam engine working, but these individuals had to ruin it. I noticed many people standing way to close to the tracks. These are probably some of the same people who will then complain about trespassers, and appoint themselves honorary railroad police. Safety first, always! There were far to many people up there for it to have been worth my while, I will not be making the trip up next year. I guess I'll have to get my fill of steam during the summer.
  by CSRR573

I was on the second coach from 7470. I think it was Mt. Wiley. Also This is i think the fourth or fifth time ive been on the Conway Scenic with the MBBRE in attendance. Not that im trying to be mean or bitch, but VIc Cambell and and the guy with the pierced ear seem to have some sort of elitist attitude when dealing with non members and durung the runbys. Sure I can understand not wanting to get people in your shot but theres no need to be rude and abrasive when asking someone to move over. Just a simple "could you please move?" simply suffices. I dont understand why on railfans weekend, the people at the runbuys are much more civil to each other even though alot of the riders arent really railfans. Where as the "railfan friendly" trip filled with railfans(that share a common interest and are there for the same thing)have to be so rude when asking someone to rude. After this last trip, Im seriously thinking of not giving the MBRRE any of my money again.
  by b&m 1566

I too have experienced poor attitudes in the past from MBRRE personnel either towards me, or others. I don’t know what the reasoning for it is but I haven’t partaken in their special excursion trips in a few years because of it.
  by daylight4449

Ogema SPR wrote:Hi Folks,

I am a board member of Southern Prairie Railway out of Ogema, Saskatchewan, Canada. We are currently in the process of finalizing the purchase and transport of Ge 44-tonner CSRX #15. This locomotive will be the first unit purchased by our newly formed tourist railway with a 1920's era Pullman passenger car coming out of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. We intend on having the 44-tonner operational by the summer of 2011 with practice runs taking place in the fall and an official start in the Spring of 2012.

We will be chronicling the journey of CSRX #15 from Conway to Ogema on our website and/or blog over the next few months as we intend on transporting it by rail. If any of you have any stories/pictures/videos of #15 that you could send my way it would be greatly appreciated. Just send my a personal message or post them on the board.

Our website is http://www.southernprairierailway.com. Also, our community website is http://www.ogema.ca

Thanks and we look forward to giving CSRX #15 a good home and many, many more years of use.

Kyle L.
first reader 108, and now the saga of CSRR #15? can this get any more exciting!!!
  by #7470

CSRR573 wrote:I was on the second coach from 7470. I think it was Mt. Wiley. Also This is i think the fourth or fifth time ive been on the Conway Scenic with the MBBRE in attendance. Not that im trying to be mean or bitch, but VIc Cambell and and the guy with the pierced ear seem to have some sort of elitist attitude when dealing with non members and durung the runbys. Sure I can understand not wanting to get people in your shot but theres no need to be rude and abrasive when asking someone to move over. Just a simple "could you please move?" simply suffices. I dont understand why on railfans weekend, the people at the runbuys are much more civil to each other even though alot of the riders arent really railfans. Where as the "railfan friendly" trip filled with railfans(that share a common interest and are there for the same thing)have to be so rude when asking someone to rude. After this last trip, Im seriously thinking of not giving the MBRRE any of my money again.
We were on the same car. I spelt "Wiley" wrong. Too bad I didnt know that we could have met. And I did notice some of that as well but its hard for me to say since this was my first MBRRE trip
  by KevinM

Folks,

Here's a shot of the MBRRE excursion crossing the Sawyer River at 4th Iron. It was just about the only time that day when we actually had sunshine!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 07&nseq=33

The amount of ice and snow in this shot is deceiving. It was over 40 degrees when this shot was taken and most of the snow pack in the lower whites was gone!

/Kevin