• Conway Scenic Railroad Discussion (CSRX) - 2010

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by b&m 1566

TheJollyRailfan wrote:The only real going on around Conway is that this will be the last weekend of Polar Express/ Santa Train Runs for the year. I believe these were all powered by the 216 and 252. The 2 are also supposed to be the motive power for the New Years eve train.

Valley trains will be making special winter runs for the xmas vacation week the 27th through the 1st, And of course we have the Steam in the Snow special running on 2nd.

Any more to report?
44 tonner reported earlier that 573 and 4266 were powering the polar express trains this year, so which is it? Either way, 7470 will be powering the return trips this weekend and I believe the runs to Conway also.
  by TheJollyRailfan

b&m 1566 wrote:44 tonner reported earlier that 573 and 4266 were powering the polar express trains this year, so which is it? Either way, 7470 will be powering the return trips this weekend and I believe the runs to Conway also.
Sorry I missed that, I thought I heard the GPs were handling it, my mistake
  by highrail

I picked up a rail calendar at the mall yesterday, entitled "Classic Trains 2011," published by Silver Lining from New York. What a surprise to find that the 7470 is featured as the January photo! A great winter photo hauling a few freight cars. It notes that the photo was taken in 2009 at Hart's Location. Photo by Kevin Madore, who I do not know. A great shot! I wonder if that was part of the special photo op that a private group did at the Conway Scenic.
  by KevinM

highrail wrote:I picked up a rail calendar at the mall yesterday, entitled "Classic Trains 2011," published by Silver Lining from New York. What a surprise to find that the 7470 is featured as the January photo! A great winter photo hauling a few freight cars. It notes that the photo was taken in 2009 at Hart's Location. Photo by Kevin Madore, who I do not know. A great shot! I wonder if that was part of the special photo op that a private group did at the Conway Scenic.
Thanks for checking out the calendar, Highrail! You are correct. The shot of 7470 with the freight was taken on January 4th of 2009 during the Lerro Productions charter. It still ranks as the coldest steam charter I've ever done. I believe the temperature during the night shoot portion of the event was 8 degrees F with a northwest wind at 15 mph gusting to 25. If the depot had not been open for us to periodically warm up, I think some folks would have ended up in the ER with frostbite/hypothermia. The session out on the line the next day wasn't much warmer.

If you'd like to see some additional shots I have of 7470, including a color version of the shot you mentioned in your post, try clicking on this link: http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos. ... C%7C%7C%7C

Thanks!

/Kevin
  by #7470

That is an older update from about a year ago on 7470. I talked to one of the roundhouse employees over the summer and asked about the operating schedule of 7470. He said they got behind in 2010 because of the Hattie Evans and the exchange of locomotives but the plan is to have her in full operation for the 2011 season just as she used to in the summer months. This is what I was told we'll see if it holds true. And no offense to anyone else but I agree with B&M1566 on this one
  by Mikejf

#7470 wrote:And no offense to anyone else but I agree with B&M1566 on this one
What do you agree with him on? I see nothing anywhere about an update or anything, other than mention of the 2011 calendar, which is not old.

Mike
  by #7470

miketrainnut wrote:
#7470 wrote:And no offense to anyone else but I agree with B&M1566 on this one
What do you agree with him on? I see nothing anywhere about an update or anything, other than mention of the 2011 calendar, which is not old.

Mike
I think I see what happened. I pressed on an older email notification for rr.net and it brought me to an older post by B&M 1566. Haha sorry about that, I should delete old email more often!
  by 44 tonner

Yea... I posted on it... but my comment is gone.. hmm. But yeah... It won't be steam in the snow... Sadly... there is NO SNOW in Mt. Washington Valley (Asides the ski areas) Unless we get a storm that dumps a good foot, there will not be enough snow
  by BR4

Supposed to get 4-6 inches Monday, but right now the forecast is calling for rain
and in the 40's Jan 2. Subject to change at least 5 times between now and then.
  by Cosmo

Snowin' pretty heavy down here near the CT coast. I 'spect we've gotten a god 4-6" here already.
  by BR4

Snow has startedfalling in the Oxford/Carroll Counties area within the last hour or so (since 1900).
Predctions are now for 8-12 inches or maybe more. Blizzard Warning now extended inland that far.

Jan 2 forecast has changed twice already and now predicting a cloudy day, but no precip. OTWT.
  by #7470

Anyone going to Steam in the Snow? My uncle got tickets for me as a Christmas gift so I will be going with him. Cant wait! This will be the first time on 7470 again since 2007.