• Conway Scenic Railroad Discussion (CSRX) - 2010

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by 44 tonner

Well... it has started here, around 20:15. I might be floating around... I might just stay at my house, and get the trestle, who knows
  by Cosmo

#7470 wrote:Anyone going to Steam in the Snow? My uncle got tickets for me as a Christmas gift so I will be going with him. Cant wait! This will be the first time on 7470 again since 2007.
It looks like I just MIGHT! I'll have to leave pretty early in the AM. :P
  by H.F.Malone

Does CSRR 573 have an operational steam generator? When MEC/GRS owned it, 573 had a working steam gen.
  by merrman

Staem generator does not work. Has not since the 1980's. CSRR does not heat anything with
steam, so not needed anyway.
  by Otto Vondrak

merrman wrote:Staem generator does not work. Has not since the 1980's. CSRR does not heat anything with
A shame... But I understand that the regulatory stuff required to keep a locomotive steam genny operational is not much different than keeping 7470 active...

-otto-
  by mc367

Nice video of today's excursion. Quick question, where is that trestle?

Justin Franz
  by daylight4449

Otto Vondrak wrote:
merrman wrote:Staem generator does not work. Has not since the 1980's. CSRR does not heat anything with
A shame... But I understand that the regulatory stuff required to keep a locomotive steam genny operational is not much different than keeping 7470 active...

-otto-
i say they should regulate steam generators on regs relating to a water heater. that would make life easier
  by gokeefe

One thing I have noticed is how routine post-foliage operations have become for CSRR. Rail trips after Christmas would have been very rare even as recently as five years ago. Now with all the additional rolling stock, motive power, and apparently substantial customer base they are in fact quite common.

Deep winter (January/February) operations clearly point towards ski trains, which will never happen until a) the Conway Branch is reopened and restored to Ossippe (if ever) and b) the entire line between Boston and Bartlett is upgraded to handle speeds above Class II (probably never).

This means business expansion is limited to continued improvements in 'class of service' or onboard accomodations, chartered excursions which add business over and above regular runs, and special events which have the potential to attract passengers for multiple trips in a single season. As I'm sure we have all noticed this is roughly the plan that they are pursuing at this time.

I would be interested to know if there are further upgrades to accomodations or additions to passenger rolling stock being contemplated at this time. 'Hattie Evans' was obviously a major addition. I can't think what the next step would be when you already have a first-class dome car, and diner into the Notch, along with a diner and parlor car on the Valley Train. I can't imagine there would be any value in adding a observation-lounge to the Notch Train as the dome car already fulfills this role. Perhaps the real issue is adding further capacity in coach.
  by 44 tonner

Yesterday (12-27) 573 went North to plow. I am not sure where she ended, but I am guessing a little past Notchland.
  by b&m 1566

Did the 4266 power the train valley train solo then or did the 573 head west after completing both excursions?
  by Otto Vondrak

daylight4449 wrote:i say they should regulate steam generators on regs relating to a water heater. that would make life easier
You say that until one explodes and causes mass injury. Steam boilers are heavily regulated for a reason. You're too young to remember Gettysburg's 1995 accident that pretty much rewrote the rules for the railroad industry.

-otto-
  by 44 tonner

b&m 1566 wrote:Did the 4266 power the train valley train solo then or did the 573 head west after completing both excursions?
From what I was, 573 on the West end, '66 on the East. 573 departed West, and '66 ran home where she was, on the East end.