• Conway Scenic Railroad Discussion (CSRX) - 2010

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by TheJollyRailfan

Seeing how its been mentioned for those interested in reading more on the Gettysburg Incident heres the NTSB report http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/1996/sir9605.pdf . To sum it up they hired people with little or no training to work on a locomotive that was improperly maintained. Because of that there are the set rules we have today. If you take the time to read the document its pretty interesting. Sorry about getting off topic.

Also it appears tickets are still on sale for the Steam in the Snow so if you're interested you better hurry!
  by gokeefe

Still curious what anyone thinks the 'next move' in rolling stock is for CSRR (if there is one and when).

This would include just focusing on rehabilitation or renovations of cars already on the property.
  by Mikejf

I am sure they will do some of their annual waxing to polish up a little fading. Last time I was up, the cars all looked decent so I doubt there is any repaints. I am also thinking they have a list of any defects that may need repair. The guys have been at it long enough to know what is going to wear out and how long things usually last.

If I remember one of Pauls newsletters, plans are to re-do the mens room this winter in the Station.

Mike
  by 44 tonner

That is prob. what is gonna happen... but who knows... (The world may never know) :p
  by superwarp1

Conway scenic has some nice pics of 7470 out and about this weekend posted on Facebook
  by CSRR573

I think the Gertrude Emma need some work done to her. paint is peeling and some wood looks like it needs replacing(yes i know shes 112)
  by #7470

CSRR573 wrote:I think the Gertrude Emma need some work done to her. paint is peeling and some wood looks like it needs replacing(yes i know shes 112)
I agree with that. Saw her today and I say that a little work on her would definitely be for the best.

But how can anyone complain after steam in the snow today! This was my first steam in the snow and I am still amazed and in shock. There's nothing greater than being there in person and seeing the sights and hearing the sounds first hand. A camera really doesn't do the job. I have to say the crew today was so pleasent and did everything to make sure everyone had a great time. They were nice enough to deliver boxed lunches to those who forgot to pick them up beforehand. 7470 looked and sounded great, Courtney really put on a great show especially at the 302 crossing where he used both whistles! I really have to give the Conway Scenic crew and staff credit for greatly organizing all the photo runbys and ensuring that people not on the train were not in the shots of those who purchases tickets. This was my first winter Conway Scenic experience and I am so pleased with the day that I will return next year. Incredible day. I'll post pictures and videos later.
  by daylight4449

TheJollyRailfan wrote:Seeing how its been mentioned for those interested in reading more on the Gettysburg Incident heres the NTSB report http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/1996/sir9605.pdf . To sum it up they hired people with little or no training to work on a locomotive that was improperly maintained. Because of that there are the set rules we have today. If you take the time to read the document its pretty interesting. Sorry about getting off topic.

Also it appears tickets are still on sale for the Steam in the Snow so if you're interested you better hurry!
i'm saving this and i'll put it on my e-reader by tommorow
  by daylight4449

#7470 wrote:
CSRR573 wrote:I think the Gertrude Emma need some work done to her. paint is peeling and some wood looks like it needs replacing(yes i know shes 112)
I agree with that. Saw her today and I say that a little work on her would definitely be for the best.

But how can anyone complain after steam in the snow today! This was my first steam in the snow and I am still amazed and in shock. There's nothing greater than being there in person and seeing the sights and hearing the sounds first hand. A camera really doesn't do the job. I have to say the crew today was so pleasent and did everything to make sure everyone had a great time. They were nice enough to deliver boxed lunches to those who forgot to pick them up beforehand. 7470 looked and sounded great, Courtney really put on a great show especially at the 302 crossing where he used both whistles! I really have to give the Conway Scenic crew and staff credit for greatly organizing all the photo runbys and ensuring that people not on the train were not in the shots of those who purchases tickets. This was my first winter Conway Scenic experience and I am so pleased with the day that I will return next year. Incredible day. I'll post pictures and videos later.
because she's used on the valley train, paint her and chochora in the maroon scheme on the other cars, and paint the other cars in the same scheme.
  by #7470

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm-Rj7BJbto
Well this is my first real youtube upload. Steam in the Snow from yesterday. Filmed with my digital camera with no zoom. Its a Canon Powershot SD1200 IS mainly just a still shot camera so I included the shots in the video. Its video quality wasn't too bad. I filmed with this camera in my left hand and I filmed the same scenes with differant effects with my film camera in my right hand. Quite a task! I will upload the film version of this as soon as I can but for now, here it is hope everyone enjoys it
  by superwarp1

Nice video thanks for posting.

I know it's early but what if any are there plans for 7470 this summer?
  by p42thedowneaster

daylight4449 wrote: because she's used on the valley train, paint her and chochora in the maroon scheme on the other cars, and paint the other cars in the same scheme.
It seems a shame to lose the PRR heritage on the Gertrude. She is probably the oldest and most renown piece of the whole collection...and now a memorial too. I think I'd rather see the "Yellow Kid" scheme move more toward coach.
  by #7470

superwarp1 wrote:Nice video thanks for posting.

I know it's early but what if any are there plans for 7470 this summer?
basically what I was told last summer by an employee there is they got too caught up this summer with the new diesels and dining car that the decision was made not to run her but he did tell me however that they do plan to run her for the summer of 2011
  by CSRR573

7470 - I do have to agree with you that it was very cool when Court did the double wistle thing on the return trip through Intervale
  by #7470

CSRR573 wrote:7470 - I do have to agree with you that it was very cool when Court did the double wistle thing on the return trip through Intervale
Wasn't it? I loved that! I wish I had my camera recording but I was in the train so there was no way of knowing unfortunately. I still haven't found a video of that yet I did see many people with cameras at that crossing however so I'm hoping that someone got that on video. If you find it let me know