Railroad Forums 

• Wolfeboro Railroad 2-6-2 #250

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1006103  by Cosmo

Trainlover479 wrote:The only tourist railroad that would be interesting to see steam on would be the hobo because of all the scenery they have.
And this is why my elders would constantly remind me as a youth that "young children should be seen and not heard."
So,... the ONLY tourist line with any scenery up there is the Hobo?
For one thing, the HOBO doesn't run past Lake Winnie!

Now, back on topic.
To paraphrase, (from two sources,) regarding the state of #250:
"It be dead, Jim."
 #1006105  by Trainlover479

ok, well the Hobo and Winnippassauki are owned by the same group, so technicly they are one railroad, and secondly, i didnt mean that its the only scenic one, all the others are scenic, just the only one i really wish had steam was the hobo.
 #1006152  by b&m 1566

Trainlover479 wrote:ok, well the Hobo and Winnippassauki are owned by the same group, so technicly they are one railroad, and secondly, i didnt mean that its the only scenic one, all the others are scenic, just the only one i really wish had steam was the hobo.
If your going to reference the Hobo as the Winnipesaukee and vice versa then please for future reference, refer to them both as the Plymouth & Lincoln Railroad; that way there won't be any confusion. The Hobo is the Hobo and the Winnipesaukee is the Winnipesaukee, so when you use one of the names we don't know you're refering to the other.
 #1006420  by steamer69

At one point a few years back I had a long conversation with Ben about steam on the P&L. There didn't seem to be any current or future interest in steam on the railroad.
 #1006433  by Pat Fahey

HI all

Here are a few slides that I took at Wolfeboro , the day I rode the Cab , July 15th 1984 hope that you enjoy Pat.
Attachments:
July 15th 1984 rideing the cab
July 15th 1984 rideing the cab
Wolfeboro RR # 4.jpg Riding the cab.jpg (30.46 KiB) Viewed 2169 times
July 15th 1984 Bob Dustin
July 15th 1984 Bob Dustin
Wolfeboro RR # 3.jpg Bob Dustin.jpg (60.41 KiB) Viewed 2169 times
July 15, 1984 Bob Dustin
July 15, 1984 Bob Dustin
Wolfeboro RR # 5 .jpg Bob Dustin.jpg (41.52 KiB) Viewed 2169 times
 #1006672  by Reader#108

Nice images! Too bad they couldn't stay afloat there.....

I wonder if the Cotton Valley Club has any plan or interest in developing the line into a

Silver Lake type experience.....Silver Lake is a fab take if you get a chance, you must go!
 #1006733  by Trainlover479

i dont know what we plan to do in the future with the CVRTC (im a member) we share the ROW with pedestrians at some points untill Cotton Valley, then its rails all the way to route 16. We used to have Open Houses but because of insurance costs we had to dump it
 #1007913  by steamer69

Maybe you guys should get some insurance then.....much easier to give rides to non-members if you have insurance. Otherwise, you guys are setting yourselves ou for some seriouse liability if there is no insurance....just sayin. I wouldn't be giving rides on my equipment with no protection....

And how exactly do you "share" right of way with pedestrians? I've seen some stuff on that, and while it's a great way to try and keep the "Rail trail" crunchies happy...I don't like the idea of running a piece of eqipment with people in the gauge. That may be where some of your headache with insurance comes from....just sayin.
 #1007923  by wog820

The club has insurance, they have just decided not to get involved with giving the public rides until we can do it safely due to our high insurance cost. We are looking at $5000.00 deductible now for the next season, kind of high for a small club like this under 100 members.
 #1007949  by steamer69

wog820 wrote:kind of high for a small club like this under 100 members.
I would go as far as to say that it is very high....but....you are running railroad equipment on a "private" railroad, on a non dedicated right of way. You may see your insurance go down some if you looked into a dedicated right of way? I would guess that it would make your insurance company feel a lot better. Do individual owners cary insurance as well aginst that $5,000 deductable?
 #1007981  by steamer69

Thank you, I'll take a read.
 #1008003  by Steamer

Steamer69
Anytime this summer you want, as long as I am already up there, (Wolfeboro) You are more than welcome to ride on my trackcar. All you have to do is sign a wavier, and wear ankle high boots. I provide the safety vest. Maybe #250 will not be running, but when do you think the last time there were TWO "steamers" on the line! LOL

Steamer
(Also a member of CVRTC)