Railroad Forums 

• Wolfeboro Railroad 2-6-2 #250

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1008482  by steamer69

You know he's a youngin when he can't make the connection between vlassic and pickles.......
 #1008485  by MEC407

Kids these days! :P

When I was growin' up, my mother made her own pickles in the cellar... and I had to walk 5 miles up hill, barefoot, in the snow, just to get one! :wink:
 #1009034  by steamer69

From pickles to Star Treck? I don't get it Cosmo....is that an attempt at one of those *FACEPALM!* things? ;-)

Now that's funny......
 #1009107  by Cosmo

steamer69 wrote:From pickles to Star Treck? I don't get it Cosmo....is that an attempt at one of those *FACEPALM!* things? ;-)

Now that's funny......
*...blee-bleep-bleep-... * AFFIRMATIVE.
 #1009116  by steamer69

Ok,
anyway....back to the 250....I have been doing a little looking into that engine, and I think she would be a good candidate for a restoration. All things being equal, and location and "host" railroad found to be willing, I think she would make a nice little traveling engine. Not too big, but not too small either, and if you added a remote box in the cab, she could go almost anywhere in New England and be comfortable.
 #1009358  by Reader#108

I beg to differ.

She is a mess. I have spoken to both people that worked on her at Wolfboro and people that have

looked at her at Edaville. She would need a whole new boiler and the firebox is trash.

But, then again.....if someone had the $$$ and the time and the space

any 501 is possible, right?
 #1009392  by Cosmo

steamer69 wrote:Ok,
anyway....back to the 250....I have been doing a little looking into that engine, and I think she would be a good candidate for a restoration. All things being equal, and location and "host" railroad found to be willing, I think she would make a nice little traveling engine. Not too big, but not too small either, and if you added a remote box in the cab, she could go almost anywhere in New England and be comfortable.
Brett.... "It be dead."
 #1009422  by steamer69

So is every other locvomotive not in service in New England. Every engine you look at is going to have something wrong with it. No engine ever "be dead"....critical and in ICU, yes....but dead? If it hasn't been cut up, it's not dead.
 #1009450  by Cosmo

steamer69 wrote:So is every other locomotive not in service in New England. Every engine you look at is going to have something wrong with it. No engine ever "be dead"....critical and in ICU, yes....but dead? If it hasn't been cut up, it's not dead.
Sorry, but it's just not that simple.
VRR 97 is not currently in service, but it aint "dead" not by a long shot.
97 needs a lot of work, true, BUT it has all it's cab appliances and brasses and it would not need a whole new boiler.
Furthermore, UNLIKE 250, there are substantial parts on hand and stored for it's future reactivation (NOT "restoration,") as well as a source of capitol to put it back in service.
For further comparison, MRR #3, currently up at Boothbay has had a lot of work, still needs work and may or may not run again in the next year, BUT... it too is far from dead.
There are numerous other "not in service but not dead" locomotives I could use to make the point further, however, I don't think I need stretch it out further.
 #1009644  by NErailfan

Having been at Edaville recently, although not being a steam expert, 250 does look in rough shape.

I do agree though, any steam engine, standard, or narrow gauge should be considered an endangered species. And should have some record kept of at least what shape they are in.

On the subject of steamers that "could" run again. Could the 0-6-0 in Lowell ever be fired up again? The 410 is it?
 #1009651  by Reader#108

410 is a no go as well....

She is said to need a boiler, but alot of her parts were put back to restoration so that they are all there

in case she becomes a candidate someday. They are pretty candid when you speak to the trolley operators

that run the line. Back to 250......I would like to see her run again as well, but it will take some $$$