Railroad Forums 

• Utica Shop Notes: Closing 12/15/07

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#450024  by Otto Vondrak

According to the Susquehanna Yahoo Group, a memo came down from HQ that states Utica Shop will indeed close on 12/15/07.

-otto-

#450085  by thebigham

Yes.

From the Susquehanna Yahoo Group:

Its official according to the memo posted in the Binghamton Repair Facility. UT shops will be closed as of 12/15/2007.

Joseph Geronimo

#450109  by ANDY117

Merry Christmas! Now get out!

That's just mean. :(

#450178  by PVRX1

How much local freight business do they have on the Utica side operation?

#450343  by blockline4180

PVRX1 wrote:How much local freight business do they have on the Utica side operation?

Only 3 or 4 customers and as mentioned in another forum they are all located from Sangerfield up northward....

#450377  by ut-1

There are at least six customers in the Utica area, 4 in the Waterville/Sangerfield area (approx. 15 miles south of Utica) and two in Sherburne (approx 40 miles south of Utica)

#450424  by kingfish

Closure of Utica Shop is a matter of economics. Does anyone have an idea of what it costs to operate that facility monthy in the winter time?

I do and it is hard to justify the expense when the NYSW is restructuring to meet current traffic projections.

BTW, since when does a facility closure automaticly mean the employees do not have an oppurtunity to work elsewhere in the system?

Over the next six months several things will change at Suzy Q for the better of the company and its hard working employees.

Locomotive power is just one area where common sense is now prevailing.

Cheers
:wink:
Kingfish

#450472  by O-6-O

Off the top my head Utica customers would include;

Matts Brewing -- Utica
McGrath Beverage-- NH
Mohawk Container--NH
Fountainhead Group-- NY Mills
SCI Plywood--NY Mills
DI Hyway-- NYMills
Louis Gale Feed--Waterville
Team Track?? --Waterville
I L Richer Feed-- Sangerfield
Agway- Sangerfield
1 or 2 in Sherburne I believe.

#455902  by lvrr325

Somebody over on the old West Shore industrial line, along 5A, gets covered hoppers pretty regular, not sure if they're plastic pellets or just what. There's plenty of business to keep the Utica side operating as a satellite railroad for a long time. Just not enough to justify rebuilding the damage to the line further south.

#477451  by amoreho1

just 1 more week

#477479  by Tadman

It's a shame this facility must close, but I can understand the economic situation the company is in with regards to maintaining such a facility. The heat bill at a shop tall and large enough to service locomotives is enormous. Even if the shop isn't heated, the light bill, tax bill, etc... are quite heinous. I don't live in NY and have never seen the shop, but industrial buildings of 100,000 square feet can cost anywhere from $30,000 to $500,000/year to operate, if not more, depending on their energy efficiency, age, purpose, and a lot of other variables.

#477592  by SecaucusJunction

I dont think this is the only part of the NYSW that may be "closing shop" relatively soon...

#484474  by kingfish

I agree with Otto. What else is closing?

:wink:

Kingfish

#484608  by kingfish

Still waiting friends....

Rumours are a terrible and contagious disease.

On another note can someone PM me where I can purchase NYSW specific non powered model locomotives? For display purposes. I am not familiar with the "gauge" involved but ask for help on sizing. I have in my possession a gift from co workers of an ATSF SD40-2, SLRR GP40-2 and they are about 1" wide by 10-12" long.

Thank you. :wink: