Railroad Forums 

• Utica Shop Notes: Closing 12/15/07

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#421069  by thebigham

A lot of locomotive activity in the Utica shop in the past week. The three long term OSS Cartier units #77, 3660 and 3674 have been moved from the north storage compound into shop to be prepped for shipment to the WNY&P.

U23B 2304 has been the local switcher with SD40 3020 testing on the Sangerfield local. Also being worked on is GP18 1802 and GP40 3042. The SD45 3634 must be getting its engine back as it was placed in the yard next to a road crane to lift the engine from a flatbed truck. The long hood is on the ground along road way. The 77 Cen 636 now has NYSW stenciled over the number on the cab sides.

Al Gorney
Last edited by thebigham on Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

#421094  by ANDY117

What happened to 3674?

Any status update on the 3614? besides out at Dansville for a year?

#421297  by Steve F45

scotty are they still getting rebuilt? I may try and email the dansville rebuild shop inquiring about 3614 thats been there for almost 18 months.

#421351  by lvrr325

The black coach with no glass and the steps rusted off one end still sit there? Supposedly that car was sold a couple years ago, but no one seems to know anything about it now and I haven't taken the time to drive by the shop and see if it's still around. It would have had to leave on a flatcar or by truck.

#421615  by amoreho1

2005Vdub wrote:scotty are they still getting rebuilt? I may try and email the dansville rebuild shop inquiring about 3614 thats been there for almost 18 months.
is there a chance she became a parts unit

#421739  by scottychaos

2005Vdub wrote:scotty are they still getting rebuilt? I may try and email the dansville rebuild shop inquiring about 3614 thats been there for almost 18 months.
I dont know for certain, but I would say its very likely 3016 & 3014 are being rebuilt..since that is what has happened to every other Susquehanna loco that has gone to Dansville..

except for the 3614 of course..its possible she has become a parts unit, but no one knows for sure..

Scot

#421917  by ANDY117

That's what it was before it left NYSW property. They used parts off of it on the other 45s and some of the other EMDs.

#421922  by scottychaos

ANDY117 wrote:That's what it was before it left NYSW property. They used parts off of it on the other 45s and some of the other EMDs.
but that doesnt necessarily mean its a parts units now..
units that were once "parts units" have been known to return to life! :P
not often, but it can happen..

but based on its history, and the fact that it has been in Dansville for so long, its probably 90% likely we wont see 3614 running again.. :(
time will tell..

Scot

#421936  by RSD15

the 3016 is back on the NYSW,came back in mid june.

#422136  by amoreho1

RSD15 wrote:the 3016 is back on the NYSW,came back in mid june.
where is it and has it been repainted

#422277  by Steve F45

Scotty I emailed American Motive Power (dansville) about NYSW 3614. I guess its somewhat official, she's a goner. Here is a quote from the email i got from the V.P. of marketing today.
This unit was in poor condition and had several missing components. Which was determined to be a costly route for the NYS&W to take, we are not sure at this time if the locomotive will be remanufactured or parted out under AMP’s future plans...
Sad to here.

#422331  by Sid Farkus

Well, 3614 has been basically stripped from its parts by NYSW. BTW is 3014 back yet and was it painted? Is 3042 going to be repainted?

#422344  by scottychaos

2005Vdub wrote:Scotty I emailed American Motive Power (dansville) about NYSW 3614. I guess its somewhat official, she's a goner. Here is a quote from the email i got from the V.P. of marketing today.
This unit was in poor condition and had several missing components. Which was determined to be a costly route for the NYS&W to take, we are not sure at this time if the locomotive will be remanufactured or parted out under AMP’s future plans...
Sad to here.
thanks for the info..
good to finally clear up that mystery, even if it is sad news..

Scot