Railroad Forums 

• Utica Shop Notes: Closing 12/15/07

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#484743  by lvrr325

Three things that all come from the same book:

The Sky Is Falling! The Sky Is Falling!

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down...

The NYS&W is going to be abandoned/sold/merged/whatever

#485270  by Sid Farkus

If the NYS&W is abandoned/sold/merged when would it most likely happen?

#485296  by scottychaos

Susquehaniewikiwokiwani wrote:If the NYS&W is abandoned/sold/merged when would it most likely happen?

It would most likely happen on July 23, 1979 at 7:31pm Mountain time.

after that, it will be somewhat less likely, but still possible.

Scot

#485333  by Noel Weaver

Back on topic, did the Utica Shop actually close? What is left if anything
around there?
Noel Weaver

#485335  by GOLDEN-ARM

I'm with Noel here. This topic was about the shops closing. The 15th has come, and gone. Funny, nobody has related the locking of the doors, removal of the contents, etc. Add some detail specific info please, and keep the speculations out. THANKS!!! :-D

#485337  by amoreho1

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:I'm with Noel here. This topic was about the shops closing. The 15th has come, and gone. Funny, nobody has related the locking of the doors, removal of the contents, etc. Add some detail specific info please, and keep the speculations out. THANKS!!! :-D
i have to agree

#485514  by riffian

Most reports indicate that the Utica shop will remain open occupied by a contract outfit. This report from January Railpace (P46): "NYS&W was trucking its inventory of parts out of the Utica shop to Binghamton for the December 15 closure of NYS&W shop operations in Utica. Susquehanna Locomotive & Car Company, affiliated with RMDI of Pittston, PA, announced that it would continue operating in the Utica Shop complex, doing contract work. New track is being installed to the MOW shed to house the locomotive assigned to the shop, currently U23B 2304."

#485785  by lvrr325

I drove by there a while back and there was a lot of junk scattered around, they're using pieces of hoods to P&W and BN GEs as sheds.

#528333  by lvrr325

Just to update on this board, went by the shop this AM, it was very active, one NYS&W unit present (3042 in black), MA&N delivering the ex-NdeM E60C-2 electrics from Montreal as posted on the NY railfan board. Didn't look a lot different than in December, except it was open and busy.
 #606722  by ut-1

How busy is the Utica Shop? From what I've read here, I understand work continues but are there fewer employees these days? Was the shop, in fact, taken over by a new entity or is the Susquehanna still directly involved?? Just thought I'd inquire because it's been quite some time since the last post in this thread.
 #944245  by thebigham

In another thread here:

Alek9997 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:53 am

They also are in the process of completely clearing out the Utica Shops of all the parts, engine components, junk locos, etc.