Railroad Forums 

• The Station Agent on DVD

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#26436  by 7 Train

'The Station Agent' hits DVD tomorrow! post your thought, reviews and screencaptures here!

#26538  by njt4172

Come one, Come ALL! Go AND GET YOUR 'STATION AGENT" DVD at your local Barnes & Nobles or Borders! :D :D :D

Steve

#31265  by nick11a

Well, it just arrived in the mail, I popped it in and it was a really neat movie. It was GREAT fun. They had shots of two GP40-FH2s coupled together in teh beggining, Comet I train, a few Arrow MU shots, shot of Hoboken Terminal, shot of a Comet IV led train with Comet IIs behind it and saw some Morristown and Erie Action too. It was really neat to see all of that. And the story was good to. At one point, I saw what appeared to be a solid set of Comet IIIs. I almost flipped out. NJT can't put them together in solid sets but when they have movies, everything is in solid sets! Comet IIIs, Comet II/IV. Not one mixed set. Than later on I realized that they weren't NJT Comet IIIs but were some Metro North stuff. Anyway, I recomend it. It is a great movie with an interesting premise and interesting characterization. It is a railfan must IMO.

EDIT: I LOVED the scene with the railfans at the begining showing the footage of the trains. That was hilarious. That guy who narrated every little thing was just too much! LOL! Especially: (roughly paraphrased) "And now we're entering a tunnel.... yep, definitely a tunnel. Interstingly enough, this was one of the darkest tunnels in blah blah blah...." I think you all should see this.

#31272  by TAMR213

Saw it as well (rented it). Very good story, nice train scenes. Personally one of my favorites was when they were chasing the Suzie Q. Then after the Cuban guy was just like "Trains are cool...". That cuban guy was my favorite person in the movie. To me, he was a somewhat typified version of people from Jersey.

#31286  by nick11a

TAMR213 wrote:Saw it as well (rented it). Very good story, nice train scenes. Personally one of my favorites was when they were chasing the Suzie Q. Then after the Cuban guy was just like "Trains are cool...". That cuban guy was my favorite person in the movie. To me, he was a somewhat typified version of people from Jersey.
But he was from Manhattan. :D

It's neat to see Hoboken from the angles in the film. Ahd the numbers on the two Geeps are 4136 and 4138. Also, the MU train is a three-car Arrow train. It could be a Dover or Gladstone. Yeah, the Susie-Q scene was pretty neat too! I got real excited by it.

#31310  by 7 Train

You know why there are no C5's in the film: The Station Agent was shot in summer 2002 (August). The Comet V did not debut until the last week of September.

#31320  by njt4172

Glad you guys liked it!!! :D :D
I haven't watched it with the commentary yet so don't spoil anything if anyone has already!......Movie is probably one of my favorite of all time even though it actually has to do with making friends and friendships rather then railfans....It just happens that the main character is a railbuff! I'm still trying to figure out one thing....Does anyone know whether Fin really got hit by the NYSW train after he was drunk or was that just a dream?? I guess it is possible that the train may have just gone over him since he is soo small?? Could he have collapsed under the gauge??

Thought on this?

Thanks,
Steve

#31344  by TAMR213

I was wondering that too. Wa always confuesed about things like that in movies. For example, in the movie "Friday" he gets into a fight with someone, and pulls a gun on him. But everybody is like "Put down the gun Craig", and the other guy says something about his dad. He pulls the trigger, and then has a flashback, but then it goes back and he puts the gun down and gets in a huge streetfight. Was always confuesed...

#31363  by nick11a

No, I think the train really ran over him but didn't harm him (but got his watch.) This can happen.

Oh, and in the begining I believe you can see a C5 in the upper right hand corner of the screen in one of the Hoboken long shots. (I think in the one of the long shot of the three car Arrow train.)

#31394  by njt4172

Nick,

Well there was actually one shot of the Comet 5, but I think it was in Dover.....That concrete wall runs right along the line just east of the Dover station....Apparently he hiked the 20 or so miles from Hoboken to Newfoundland...Unless he took the train from Hoboken to Dover, then walked?!?!... Use your imagination :-)

Steve

#31396  by njt4172

Oops, my bad...that was a Comet IV in Dover! :wink:

#31426  by nick11a

njt4172 wrote:Oops, my bad...that was a Comet IV in Dover! :wink:
Yeah, I recognized the walls in Dover. Is it just me or does everything seem a lot more colorful and magical on film? The Comet V I am refering to is visible in one of the open shots in the back in the upper right hand corner of a screen. It is barely noticeble but I think that is what it is.

#31495  by nick11a

That shot is in fact the first opening shot of the picture. Just checked. It definitely looks like a C5 to me. When they were filming this, this was before there were a lot of C5s on the property and before the opening of the Montclair conection. If this film were filmed a year or two after it was, then the shots they would have had would probably been of mixed sets with C5s. (The NJT shots in the begining according to the commentary are shots they just put their guy in and shot without paying or contacting NJT. Imagine what would happen if they did that today now with the photography ban!)

#31760  by Ken W2KB

FYI Walmarts have the DVD for about $20

#31803  by NJ Vike

The bar and the train store they worked at are both in Rockaway boro.

The also broke (1) engine during the filming at the train store.

The home by the lake was filmed in Lake Hopatcong.

Ken