Railroad Forums 

• The Station Agent on DVD

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#32123  by 7 Train

Where in Lake Hopatcong? Jefferson Twp.?

#40798  by NJ Vike

Metalrailz wrote:Excellent Movie...
There sis a picture of the NewFoundland Station on "TheBlueComet.com" website.

Here is the link:
http://www.thebluecomet.com/nyswnewfoundland.jpg
I like that station as I pass it every so often. I took my sons on their Holiday train there several years ago.

Talking about nice pics, take a look at this one:

http://www.intac.com/~jsumberg/nysw.htm

Just scroll down to see the race ;-)

Ken

#40799  by NJ Vike

7 Train wrote:Where in Lake Hopatcong? Jefferson Twp.?
Sorry for the late reply. Some of it is Morris County and some of it is in Sussex County.

Here's a link to their town web site:

http://www.lkhopatcong.com/

Ken

#40868  by 7 Train

Rockaway was the main location for the filming. Newfoundland (what township?) was also a chief setting. Jefferson township was also mentioned on the credits.

#40880  by nick11a

Where is the park with the bridge over the little pond? In the movie, they had a small Morristown and Erie train pull accross it. Seems like a nice place for railfanning.

#40883  by 7 Train

Rockaway boro, on Jackson Av. Take West Main Street from US Route 46 and after the the crossing, make the first right on the Jackson Av. Park will be on right on the Rockaway River.

#40886  by nick11a

Thanks 7. I'll try to get there one day.

#40927  by njt4172

7 Train wrote:Rockaway was the main location for the filming. Newfoundland (what township?) was also a chief setting. Jefferson township was also mentioned on the credits.
The town of Newfoundland is actually located within Jefferson Township. If you look on a road map the railroad is clearly located within Jefferson Township at that location.

Steve

#40936  by nick11a

Ah, good old Jefferson Twp. Beautiful up there. Marched a couple of shows there at the highschool in my marching band days. Also seem to recall a LOT of bees up there in the fall.

#40969  by David

Steve--Were we near any of those areas in Rockaway when you Mike and I took that extensive tour of the CNJ leading out of Dover this summer?

#40996  by njt4172

Dave,

Yes! The Rockaway River Bridge we walked over after we parked the car at the Mill Lane Tavern was definatly in the film. Both the Mill Lane Tavern and the Bridge where M&E 20 goes over was in the film!! In the movie a fight breaks out at the exact point where I parked my car!
The Newfoundland station is about a good 7 miles from this location though.....

If you haven't seen the movie I highly recommend you do! It is a treasure!!

Steve

#41052  by David

I thought so, Steve--Thanks--Have not seen the film yet. Plan to real soon :D

#41073  by bellstbarn

Stay off the tracks! I really enjoyed the movie: the characters were so real and so interesting! At least two gorgeous women! But what drove me crazy were the scenes of people walking on the right of way. No railfan would be that dumb.

#41098  by njt4172

bellstbarn wrote:Stay off the tracks! I really enjoyed the movie: the characters were so real and so interesting! At least two gorgeous women! But what drove me crazy were the scenes of people walking on the right of way. No railfan would be that dumb.
Well, yeah to an extent! If the line was rusted and out of service I could see them walking the ROW. But yeah, to walk the ROW of an ACTIVE railroad is asking for trouble these days.

Steve