Railroad Forums 

• The Station Agent on DVD

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#41135  by nick11a

I wonder. The lines they filmed on were active. Did they tell the RR they were filming, or did they just shoot. If so, for the camera dolly shots with the dolly being on the tracks, if a train did come, the crew could get off in time but the camera and dolly may not be so lucky.

#41138  by 7 Train

The production crew did acknowledge the NYSW and M&E in the credits.

#41157  by nick11a

7 Train wrote:The production crew did acknowledge the NYSW and M&E in the credits.
Yeah, they did. Also, according to the commentary, the only train they hired was the Susie-Q scene. The rest were stolen shots (4136, 4138, Arrow IIIs, Comet Is, MN Shoreliners, Morristown and Erie, Freight trains shots etc.)

#41462  by 7 Train

On the NJ official map and guide, Newfoundland is in Passaic County (West Milford township).

#41486  by njt4172

7 Train wrote:On the NJ official map and guide, Newfoundland is in Passaic County (West Milford township).

7 train,

Well according to the Hagstrom Morris County Map, Newfoundland is within Jefferson Township!

Steve

#41488  by 7 Train

I have always believed that the New Jersey official map & guide (produced and published by the NJ DOT and distributed by the NJ Department of Commerce) is the best and most compreshensive map of NJ.

To view or downlooad it online (county maps too):

http://www.nj.gov/transportation/gis

#41741  by njt4172

7 Train wrote:I have always believed that the New Jersey official map & guide (produced and published by the NJ DOT and distributed by the NJ Department of Commerce) is the best and most compreshensive map of NJ.

To view or downlooad it online (county maps too):

http://www.nj.gov/transportation/gis
7 Train,

After I blew up the map it CLEARY shows the Newfoundland tracks/name within Jefferson Township in Morris County! I hate to argue this matter with u, but perhaps you are confusing the location with the zip code. It is highly likely that Newfoundland could have a West Milford mailing address....

Steve

#41801  by njt4172

Ok, but how do you know for sure that the NJ STATE Map is 100% accurate with its boundaries?? The accuracy doesn't seem 100% correct.... Besides, when I am going north I never see any entering West Milford or Passaic county signs before or after I go over the RR crossing.....

Steve

#41828  by 7 Train

Note that center of Newfoundland (marked by the Red X) is north of the river.
Last edited by 7 Train on Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#45925  by 7 Train

7 Train wrote:The Pequannock River is the dividing line between Passaic and Morris counties.

Anyway, here's a Rand McNally map of Newfoundland:

Note that center of Newfoundland (marked by the Red X) is north of the river.

#46000  by Idiot Railfan

"Newfoundland" is a locality like Oak Ridge and Milton, to name a few in the immediate area. The U.S. Post Office known as Newfoundland serves customers in both West Milford Towship (Passaic County) and Jefferson Township (Morris County). The Post Office does not necessary conform to existing state and local boundries. (There are a number of people in Montague NJ whose address is Port Jervis NY. Talk about confusion!)

In fact, Jefferson Township NJ doesn't even exist from the viewpoint of the Post Office. The residents there are served by the Newfoundland P.O. in the north end, and the Lake Hopatcong P.O. in the south. I think even a few people get their mail from Sparta.

So the area generally surrounding the station in both towns is known as Newfoundland, and like most localities, there is no specific line between where Newfoundland ends and where, say, Echo Lake or Smiths Mills, two other localties, begin.

That said, and while more of Newfoundland is probably in West Milford, the station is indeed on the Jefferson Twp./Morris County side of the Pequannock River.

(As an aside, when rivers and streams are used to mark boundries between towns and states, they are often at the mercy of Mother Nature. Many of these waterways change course over time, sometimes a few feet, sometimes miles in the case of the Mississippi. That's why despite a 3-mile wide river separating them, it is possible in many places to walk between Arkansas and Kentucky, or Louisiana and Mississippi. Hell on mapmakers, and even more on tax assessors!)

#46786  by Ken W2KB

The NJ Lawyers Diary reference lists Newfoundland as a section of Jefferson Twp, Morris County, and West Milford Twp, Passaic County. That supports the above view.

#46857  by wis bang

P.C.Miler shows 07435 as Newfoundland, Passaic, New Jersey.

My wife lived in Jefferson Twsp. [White Rock Lake] which is west of the Oak Ridge post office on Berkshire valley road and her address was still Newfoundland.

The Morris & Passaic borders were confusing to local residents. I've seen them argue over what county was where...

#47256  by 7 Train

Here are the businesses and companies acknowledged in the credits, as from the press kit on the The Station Agent's official site:

A & P Grocery Store
Advent Security
AIM Productions
Barry’s Luncheonette
Elgin Watches
Good-to-Go Deli
Holy Trinity Lutheran Church
Hotsy of Hamlin
Jefferson Township Police Department
Katherine D. Malone Elementary School
Kiehl’s Products
Lunacy Beer
Mill Lane Tavern
Morristown-Erie Railroad, Inc.
New Jersey Transit
New York Atlantic Railway
New York, Susquehanna and Western Railway Corporation
Oscar’s Smokehouse
Pennsylvania Film Commission
Radical Media
Rails to Cottages
Rockaway Borough
Rockaway Borough Police Department
Rockaway Township
Rockaway Township Library - Hibernia Branch
Rockaway Township Police Department
Sacred Heart Church
Targhee Brands, Inc.
The Screening Room
Topp Copy
Tribeca Grand Hotel
3655, Inc. - Pentagon Nine
Last edited by 7 Train on Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.