Railroad Forums 

• The Pascack Valley Line Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#848168  by Matt Johnson

I lived in Westwood from '98 to '00, and back then the gates would always reactivate for a few seconds after a train had passed heading south, maybe 30 seconds or a minute after the train had gone by. Not sure why...
 #848244  by nick11a

Matt Johnson wrote:I lived in Westwood from '98 to '00, and back then the gates would always reactivate for a few seconds after a train had passed heading south, maybe 30 seconds or a minute after the train had gone by. Not sure why...
I've noticed quite a few crossings around that do that. I always tried to report it, but not to much avail seemingly.
 #848248  by Roadgeek Adam

One time I was in Garfield. Randomly train gates went down. (No train went through) No explanation when they went right back.
 #848489  by cruiser939

Roadgeek Adam wrote:No explanation when they went right back.
No explanation from whom?
 #848492  by Roadgeek Adam

cruiser939 wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:No explanation when they went right back.
No explanation from whom?
Well no train ever went by, the gates went down with the blaring noise and after running back to the platform from halfway down the block, it seemed like a false alarm. I looked around the block and saw no NJ Transit worker checking something, so I assume we have no idea what happened.
 #868955  by Matt Johnson

TDowling wrote:Looks like Woodcliff Lake and Teterboro get reduced service beginning tomorrow.
I used the Teterboro stop when I worked for AlliedSignal at the old Bendix plant in my first job out of college, but really, there's not a heck of a lot around there. (And Honeywell recently demolished the Teterboro plant - it's just a vacant lot now.) I'm not sure who exactly Teterboro serves that couldn't just as easily use Hackensack or Wood-Ridge. Maybe some airport employees?
 #869046  by Roadgeek Adam

Matt Johnson wrote:
TDowling wrote:Looks like Woodcliff Lake and Teterboro get reduced service beginning tomorrow.
I used the Teterboro stop when I worked for AlliedSignal at the old Bendix plant in my first job out of college, but really, there's not a heck of a lot around there. (And Honeywell recently demolished the Teterboro plant - it's just a vacant lot now.) I'm not sure who exactly Teterboro serves that couldn't just as easily use Hackensack or Wood-Ridge. Maybe some airport employees?
Hasbrouck Heights for one. That's technically the only station in the heights. Used to be two, but the Franklin Avenue station was never used for NJ Transit. Wood-Ridge, Carlstadt, Hasbrouck Heights and Williams Avenue (present-day Teterboro) lost their depots in 1967 when NJ 17 was widened. (If I ran NJ Transit, Carlstadt and Franklin Avenue-Hasbrouck Heights would have their stops back, along with PVL Skip-stop service)

If you've noticed PVL schedules before, Teterboro and Woodciff Lake (formerly Pascack) gets 1 train on Weekends, the morning of the next day! Woodcliff Lake station isn't exactly well placed, seeing downtown Woodcliff Lk is on the other side of its namesake.
 #869057  by sixty-six

Roadgeek Adam wrote:(If I ran NJ Transit, Carlstadt and Franklin Avenue-Hasbrouck Heights would have their stops back, along with PVL Skip-stop service)
I can't see hypothetical skip-stop service being a wise choice on the PVL. You still pick up passengers at every station stop (except Woodcliff Lake and Teterboro), whether its one passenger or many. Also, with the way the schedule is now, forcing passengers to wait even longer for the train making their specific stop would not be a smart move at all.
If you've noticed PVL schedules before, Teterboro and Woodciff Lake (formerly Pascack) gets 1 train on Weekends, the morning of the next day! Woodcliff Lake station isn't exactly well placed, seeing downtown Woodcliff Lk is on the other side of its namesake.
The only reason those 2 stops get one train a day, from what I'm told, is because they are the two towns that refused weekend service when it was proposed.
 #869109  by andy

jimzim66 wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:If you've noticed PVL schedules before, Teterboro and Woodciff Lake (formerly Pascack) gets 1 train on Weekends, the morning of the next day! Woodcliff Lake station isn't exactly well placed, seeing downtown Woodcliff Lk is on the other side of its namesake.
The only reason those 2 stops get one train a day, from what I'm told, is because they are the two towns that refused weekend service when it was proposed.
I won't speak to why those two stations don't get service during the majority of the weekend (it could very well be the reason you mentioned, but I was under the impression that other towns - who also didn't want additional midday and weekend service, and are now getting it as well); but I believe that one (very early AM) train on weekends stops because:
1. They didn't want to confuse passengers leaving Hoboken on Friday night/Saturday morning - would the train stop at Teterboro and Woodcliff Lake?
2. They didn't want to differentiate between Friday night/early Saturday morning and Saturday night/early Sunday morning.

Also, there will be a special New Year's Day train, departing Hoboken at 3:25 AM on January 1, 2011 and making all stops (see the MNR website and PDF schedule for details).
 #869248  by Roadgeek Adam

Steve F45 wrote:That honey well site would be a perfect location for a new park ride. Eliminate Wood-Ridge and Teterboro and have this one stop. Right off rt 17,46 and even rt 80.
I can't see Wood-Ridge going anytime soon. Moonachie gives it a lot of room, and is the local station to Moonachie. Wood-Ridge is pretty convenient as is.
 #872098  by ryanov

Matt Johnson wrote:
We discussed this in person, but "people that walk and live in Hasbrouck Heights." It's a long walk to Wood Ridge from there, and Hackensack is blocked by highways.
 #872099  by ryanov

jimzim66 wrote:The only reason those 2 stops get one train a day, from what I'm told, is because they are the two towns that refused weekend service when it was proposed.
Woodcliff Lake I could see, but I can't imagine that's true for Teterboro. There aren't even any houses anywhere nearby.