Railroad Forums 

• The Pascack Valley Line Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#872271  by Roadgeek Adam

Here's how it breaks down:

WOOD-RIDGE: - Carlstadt
- Wood-Ridge
- Moonachie
- To some degree, East Rutherford

TETERBORO: - Hasbrouck Heights
- Teterboro Airport (and maybe the 56 people of Teterboro)
- South Hackensack

Both get a certain amount of people. Wood-Ridge is blocked from Carlstadt a bit due to 17, but that can be fixed.
 #920677  by airman00

I noticed today (sunday) 2 or 3 mow cars parked on what is left of that small siding in hillsdale along PVL. Looked like 1 gondola and 1-2 flat cars. I think gondola was #9416? So maybe some upcoming maintenence on the PVL? (years ago that siding was cut back several feet)
 #921208  by airman00

Passed by there again and it was just two cars. one gondola and one flat car that appeared to have something on it, that ran the length of the car, like piping or rails or something like that.
 #921250  by morris&essex4ever

airman00 wrote:I noticed today (sunday) 2 or 3 mow cars parked on what is left of that small siding in hillsdale along PVL. Looked like 1 gondola and 1-2 flat cars. I think gondola was #9416? So maybe some upcoming maintenence on the PVL? (years ago that siding was cut back several feet)
Well, the PVL timetable did say there would be track maintenance planned for late springtime.
 #921876  by airman00

I got a better look and there are rails on the flat car, so I guess some rail replacement soon. I'm curious though, what kind of power will be used when they come to pick up these cars? One of the non-hep geeps or one of the 1000 series switchers?

(Any idea when they might pick up those cars, I'd like to see them switch the siding and pick the cars up. I've never seen a switching move before)
 #921926  by Jtgshu

airman00 wrote:I got a better look and there are rails on the flat car, so I guess some rail replacement soon. I'm curious though, what kind of power will be used when they come to pick up these cars? One of the non-hep geeps or one of the 1000 series switchers?

(Any idea when they might pick up those cars, I'd like to see them switch the siding and pick the cars up. I've never seen a switching move before)
Chances are they will use the Geeps - the switchers are not real useful for anything other than switching.....

They don't have to be the non-HEP Geeps - they often use passenger Geeps as well, they both run the same - in the summer and heat, the pax Geeps are referred by some guys actually because you can keep the AC on in the cab. On the 4300s (non-Hep) the AC shuts off after a period of time. However, with the pax Geeps you gotta have the HEP motor running to get AC in the cab, but the cab AC unit is loud enough to drown out the HEP motor noise :) Not to the neighbors trackside tho - hahaah

I once had a work train with three pax diesels and all three had the HEPs going - why? I dunno, but I dind't ask questions and thats how it was when I got there.....
 #921929  by DutchRailnut

Jtgshu wrote: why? I dunno, but I dind't ask questions and thats how it was when I got there.....

Ahh the "Nuremberg Defense."
 #921938  by sixty-six

Jtgshu wrote: They don't have to be the non-HEP Geeps - they often use passenger Geeps as well, they both run the same - in the summer and heat, the pax Geeps are referred by some guys actually because you can keep the AC on in the cab. On the 4300s (non-Hep) the AC shuts off after a period of time. However, with the pax Geeps you gotta have the HEP motor running to get AC in the cab, but the cab AC unit is loud enough to drown out the HEP motor noise :) Not to the neighbors trackside tho - hahaah
And that is why you always keep a set of jumpers in the loco during the summer, even if it's "not supposed to be that humid." Ugh.
 #934033  by Hawaiitiki

Just saw posted on a train last night that Pascack Valley mid-day and weekend service will be bus-stituted for three weeks. This seems like quite a long time to cut the service in half. Does anyone know the specifics of actually what will be going on during that period? The flyer just said maintenance and crossing rehab. I wish they could use one of these opportunites to get GOLF built now that Oradell has been sleeping on the issue for a few years now.
 #934064  by waldwickrailfan

Hawaiitiki wrote:Just saw posted on a train last night that Pascack Valley mid-day and weekend service will be bus-stituted for three weeks. This seems like quite a long time to cut the service in half. Does anyone know the specifics of actually what will be going on during that period? The flyer just said maintenance and crossing rehab. I wish they could use one of these opportunites to get GOLF built now that Oradell has been sleeping on the issue for a few years now.
exactly hat it says...many crossings being maintained and maintnance.
 #934186  by ATCFault

Hawaiitiki wrote:Just saw posted on a train last night that Pascack Valley mid-day and weekend service will be bus-stituted for three weeks. This seems like quite a long time to cut the service in half. Does anyone know the specifics of actually what will be going on during that period? The flyer just said maintenance and crossing rehab. I wish they could use one of these opportunites to get GOLF built now that Oradell has been sleeping on the issue for a few years now.
Maybe they'll fix the timing at Montvale. The issue being there is if you stop with the cab of your loco any farther west of the crossbucks (of the west crossing) in Park Ridge, the gates at Montvale go down...and stay down until you clear Montvale. Creating a massive traffic jam.
 #934263  by sixty-six

ATCFault wrote:
Maybe they'll fix the timing at Montvale. The issue being there is if you stop with the cab of your loco any farther west of the crossbucks (of the west crossing) in Park Ridge, the gates at Montvale go down...and stay down until you clear Montvale. Creating a massive traffic jam.
Madison Ave., really? So every time a train stops in Park Ridge, theres a traffic jam in Montvale? Never knew that.
 #934264  by ATCFault

jimzim66 wrote:
ATCFault wrote:
Madison Ave., really? So every time a train stops in Park Ridge, theres a traffic jam in Montvale? Never knew that.
Sarcasm? But yes the gates at Grand Ave trip when the pilot of the locomotive clears the Madison ave.
 #934269  by sixty-six

ATCFault wrote: Sarcasm? But yes the gates at Grand Ave trip when the pilot of the locomotive clears the Madison ave.
No, I really had no idea.
 #934290  by ATCFault

jimzim66 wrote:
ATCFault wrote: Sarcasm? But yes the gates at Grand Ave trip when the pilot of the locomotive clears the Madison ave.
No, I really had no idea.
I knew, I was just hoping for a more interesting response... But yeah, it's great to pull in and see 60 cars lined up in either direction.