Railroad Forums 

• The Pascack Valley Line Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#934348  by sixty-six

ATCFault wrote:
jimzim66 wrote:
ATCFault wrote: Sarcasm? But yes the gates at Grand Ave trip when the pilot of the locomotive clears the Madison ave.
No, I really had no idea.
I knew, I was just hoping for a more interesting response... But yeah, it's great to pull in and see 60 cars lined up in either direction.
While working the aqua train, it was interesting to see that the Montclair line had speed-based crossing activation while the M&E had regular circuit activation. You'd think the PVL would have the same thing. Then again, nothing is really uniform on the system, like having to creep up to Main St. Ramsey to trip the gates westward vs. keying the gates at Middletown, Hazlet, and Matawan.
 #934354  by ATCFault

jimzim66 wrote: While working the aqua train, it was interesting to see that the Montclair line had speed-based crossing activation while the M&E had regular circuit activation. You'd think the PVL would have the same thing. Then again, nothing is really uniform on the system, like having to creep up to Main St. Ramsey to trip the gates westward vs. keying the gates at Middletown, Hazlet, and Matawan.
A perfect example of a un-uniform system would be the gates at Ho-Ho-Kus. Warren Ave gates are on a regular circuit-activation system, and the pedestrian gates only 50 feet away are speed-based.
 #938614  by uzplayer

Couldn't find a mention anywhere here. From the looks of it, they're putting in a new rail crossing and siding?
 #938924  by uzplayer

Makes sense now...

I thought I read a while back that they were putting in new sidings on the PVL. Is that still the case?
 #938975  by sullivan1985

uzplayer wrote:Makes sense now...

I thought I read a while back that they were putting in new sidings on the PVL. Is that still the case?
No. The siding project has been complete for about two years now. The Emerson siding was not built due to local protest.
 #939333  by cruiser939

sullivan1985 wrote:Power will be assigned based on the following...

Is it a locomotive?

Does it have an engine?

Does it have wheels?

Can/will it stop?

If it meets most of this criteria, expect it on a work train.
You forgot the need for a mini-bar and a navigation system. It gets boring on work trains...
 #939442  by sixty-six

cruiser939 wrote:
sullivan1985 wrote:Power will be assigned based on the following...

Is it a locomotive?

Does it have an engine?

Does it have wheels?

Can/will it stop?

If it meets most of this criteria, expect it on a work train.
You forgot the need for a mini-bar and a navigation system. It gets boring on work trains...
Dont forget about the prime mover. Comes in handy when cooking on work trains. Especially when reheating thanksgiving dinner on the aqua train.
 #939473  by railmason357

Was the local protest because they were misinformed that there would be "big Thru freights"?
 #939476  by airman00

railmason357 wrote:Was the local protest because they were misinformed that there would be "big Thru freights"?
Yes it was and from what I read in the newspapers NJT struck a deal and signed an agreement to no freight. As it was even with the agreement to no freight the Oradell siding still never got built.
 #939478  by waldwickrailfan

airman00 wrote:
railmason357 wrote:Was the local protest because they were misinformed that there would be "big Thru freights"?
Yes it was and from what I read in the newspapers NJT struck a deal and signed an agreement to no freight. As it was even with the agreement to no freight the Oradell siding still never got built.
budget issues? or too lazy to build it
 #939736  by oknazevad

No, just too many whining NIMBYs. Foolish idiots. Never let a fact get in the way. These giant freights would vineyard exactly? The line does dead end in Spring Valley. Frankly, I'm embarrassed to originally be from Hillsdale the way these small-minded mayors acted. Of course, many of their own constituents were opposed to their positions, as they actually use the trains.

That's the problem with these towns; only the people who live and work in the towns have the time to serve in the municipal governments, while the actual passengers spend much of the day working in NYC, JC, Newark etc. Only reinforces the parochialism.