Railroad Forums 

• Strates Circus Train Status in New York

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1288375  by Otto Vondrak

BSOR Patarak wrote:Train is all loaded, awaiting NS to set up crews and power for it. Will stay in Hamburg until they are ready for it.
Thank you!

-otto-
 #1288403  by Matt Langworthy

BSOR Patarak wrote:Train is all loaded, awaiting NS to set up crews and power for it. Will stay in Hamburg until they are ready for it.
Thank you, sir. Are the WNYRHS cars going to be moved by the same train?
 #1288476  by DutchRailnut

from train orders.com:

JAMES E. STRATES CARNIVAL TRAIN – 08/20/2014
We have received word that Norfolk Southern is unable to accept the JES Carnival Train until Wednesday (20 August 2014).

Buffalo Southern will begin assembling the consist at 08:00 AM EDT Wednesday.

After completing the standard air brake test, they will haul the train to Buffalo, NY and hand it off to Norfolk Southern.

Scheduled departure from Buffalo, NY on Norfolk Southern System to be determined (TBD) by operating/transportation officials involved with the Strates Train movement.

All we have received for this Post Time – 08:33 AM EDT, 08/20/14
Enjoy. All for now. bcd9 ∑:=)
 #1372552  by BR&P

Looking for a couple pics of a Strates Show dining car which sat derelict in Rochester Yard for a couple years in the late 60's. I had thought that car was at Syracuse until recently, but a look at the CNYRRHS web site under "past projects" appears the car they had was a sleeper or bedroom car. Can anybody clarify this? I'm looking for an outside photo, and also one of the food locker inside the car near the blind end. Thanks!
 #1372751  by lvrr325

CNYRHS still owns "Syracuse" which is a 3 bedroom-buffet-drawing room-lounge-solarium car, originally the Palm Lane. While they, or chapter members, owned various diners, none were Strates cars.
 #1372764  by BR&P

OK, thanks. I guess my memory is finally going. I sure thought I was in the diner at the fairgrounds one year.
 #1372950  by lvrr325

As far as I know, until they replaced the Palm Lane/Syracuse with the D&RGW business car that train was basically the same going back to the last time the D&H coach was used on excursions in like 1980.
 #1372970  by BR&P

The car I'm thinking of was in the Strates Shows train when they pulled the draft gear out of it. This would be 1967. I don't know whether it was so old they could not find a replacement, or if there was a dispute between the railroad and the carnival about who would pay for it.

At any rate, it sat on track 2 Coach on the north side of Goodman Street Yard, at the far end of the track except for the old NYC&HRRR steam crane (which IIRC eventually was half off the end of the track.) I believe it was still there in mid 1968.

One half had tables and chairs, I seem to recall the carpet was red, and gaudy circus-type lettering for the menu. The other half was a kitchen. Vestibule on the eating end, none on the kitchen end.

Like I said, I *thought* that was the car the Syracuse group had but apparently not. The thing was getting vandalized so it's possible it was cut up for scrap. If it had been preserved, somebody would probably know about it and it would show up on a web page somewhere.