Railroad Forums 

• Steamtown Lackawanna Railfest Nov. 2-4, 2007

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#456001  by mxdata

Well, with Steamtown as the host you can be pretty sure the occasion was NOT developed to feature diesel locomotives or teach anything about them! They will put up with having a few diesels out in the yard as long as they will bring in some paying customers but they are not about to give them any time at all in the spotlight or make any effort to educate the public about them. The list of presentations on the Steamtown website pretty much tells the story. :wink:

I am looking forward to Railroad Museum of New England getting their new shop completed so they can do some diesel events there.

MX
 #456133  by blockline4180

It is also a shame that the 425 won't be in attendance this year after all the hoopla about its restoration!

I use to do some minor work on steam engines and usually there are always snags and delays that can be encountered during the restoration process. Hopefully the hardworking men will have her up and running by next spring!

#456659  by OCtrainguy

56-57 wrote:if anyone passes thru JT, lemme know what you think of the 56-57... the orange on the 56 was resprayed yesterday from the front coupler to the 2nd cab handrail... i helped mask on wedneday, missed the painting yesterday, and was buffing to my hearts content today....

we're workin' on them! stop by and say hello if you're in the area. dunno what the work schedule is this weekend. if i'm available, i'll be there. we've got ARHS flyers if ya like too.

see you in november!!!

micah
Quickly straying off topic, I was in Jim Thorpe Sunday and I say CNJ 56 looks really good!

#456904  by chuchubob

OCtrainguy wrote:
56-57 wrote:if anyone passes thru JT, lemme know what you think of the 56-57... the orange on the 56 was resprayed yesterday from the front coupler to the 2nd cab handrail... i helped mask on wedneday, missed the painting yesterday, and was buffing to my hearts content today....

we're workin' on them! stop by and say hello if you're in the area. dunno what the work schedule is this weekend. if i'm available, i'll be there. we've got ARHS flyers if ya like too.

see you in november!!!

micah
Quickly straying off topic, I was in Jim Thorpe Sunday and I say CNJ 56 looks really good!
56 last Saturday
57, too
the orange on 56

#460086  by mxdata

I see a notice is now posted on the Steamtown website that since it was learned that some (much?) of the equipment described in early reports as being expected for display is not coming, some changes are being made in events. The night photo session is being "reorganized", and those who have already bought $75 tickets are being contacted.

MX

#460408  by blockline4180

mxdata wrote:I see a notice is now posted on the Steamtown website that since it was learned that some (much?) of the equipment described in early reports as being expected for display is not coming, some changes are being made in events. The night photo session is being "reorganized", and those who have already bought $75 tickets are being contacted.

MX

What equipment besides the 425 and the Reading F units will not be coming now??? You are making as if this event is going to be a flop, but I disagree! I haven't heard anything else on other pieces not making it there. Did you??

#460461  by mxdata

I can only go by what they have posted on the website. Do you know exactly what equipment is coming? Perhaps you could share that with us?

MX

#460470  by blockline4180

mxdata wrote:I can only go by what they have posted on the website. Do you know exactly what equipment is coming? Perhaps you could share that with us?

MX
1)Most likely will be in attendance- PRR E8's with trainset, R&N diesel, D&H diesel, many DL alcos, Erie E8 along with 2 NY&GL private cars and the restored NKP sleeper "City of Lima".

2) Possible attendance- Anthracite CNJ F units, Amtrak superliner equipment,CP diesel, NYSW locomotive/passenger car, Morristown & Erie equipment.

I haven't heard of any of the above NOT attending..

#460490  by Steamtown Observer

My understanding is the R&N, NYS&W and CNJ F units will NOT be attending. M&E may have a passenger car coming in as part of the Amtrak train which I understand is definitely attending.

#460519  by mxdata

Hmmm. This is getting interesting. Could it be that having current AEI tags and being registered in the UMLER directory might have something to do with whether equipment is likely to be sent or not? :wink:

#460520  by Steamtown Observer

Could it be that having current AEI tags and being registered in the UMLER directory might have something to do with whether equipment is likely to be sent or not?
No, more likely these operators and groups were not prepared for the mounds of paperwork and legal details thrown at them by Steamtown.

#460522  by mxdata

Paperwork? Steamtown? NPS?

No Kidding! :wink:

#460552  by Franklin Gowen

mxdata wrote:Paperwork? Steamtown? NPS?

No Kidding! :wink:
And once again, the railfan community suffers due to bureaucracy run amok. [-sigh-] It's a shame. I wonder to what extent attendance will be negatively affected by these non-trivial changes?

#460610  by mxdata

I think this is a particularly interesting event to watch not only from a standpoint of how the participants work with the NPS, but also with regard to the effect the highly unpredictable November weather may have on a partially outdoor event, and whether simultaneously running indoor activities and presentations in close proximity to the scheduling of fantrips works out well for them. It is an intriguing combination of activities and there is potentially a lot for future event organizers to learn from it.

However I am still looking forward to the time when RMNE is able to do a "diesel day" at their new shop, perhaps doing show and tell sessions with their fascinating collection of vintage Northeastern road diesels. A lot of people now identify themselves primarily as diesel fans, and Steamtown is very unlikely to ever host that kind of an activity.

#460924  by jhdeasy

Steamtown Observer wrote:M&E may have a passenger car coming in as part of the Amtrak train which I understand is definitely attending.
I am not aware of any M&E participation in the weekend's events.

Two private cars (heavyweight KITCHI GAMMI CLUB and lightweight MOUNT VERNON) that are stored on the M&E, but not owned by the M&E, will be in the consist of Juniata Terminal Company's "Susquehanna", the all private car Amtrak special train running Philadelphia - Scranton - Olean - Philadelphia on November 2nd - 5th.

KITCHI GAMMI CLUB http://www.virginiarail.com

MOUNT VERNON http://www.dominionrailvoyages.com