• Steamtown Lackawanna Railfest Nov. 2-4, 2007

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by mxdata

I had the occasion today to talk with managers from some of the railroads that had been mentioned previously as possibly sending equipment, and they confirmed exactly what Steamtown Observer reported, not only in the list of equipment that will not be there, but also in the reasons some of it is not coming.

There were also some comments that the missing diesels should have little effect on the turnout, since viewing them a short distance from where they normally are maintained really isn't that big a draw, and the other activities being featured at the event are mostly steam oriented.

MX

by CREngineer

I am sure there are many reasons why the list of equipment participating is constantly changing. For example, we at Amtrak are no longer bringing a superliner consist. This is not due to Amtrak equipment issues, but rather to get there over a host railroad requires pilot crew members which host CPR advised on friday afternoon would be unavailable for this extra equipment move. Along with the superliner consist, there were two private cars that were paying to deadhead down and back with the equipment for display purposes while at Scranton.

by mxdata

Anyone have thoughts about where this leaves the hobby for future events?

There are a lot of issues involved in moves for display events: Equipment inspections and air tests; AEI tags; UMLER registration; verification that older equipment is free of asbestos and PCBs; receiving carrier inspection for the outbound move; shipping arrangements (some carriers require prepayment); pilot crews; and local switching fees. Some carriers may even require installation of self-aligning couplers as a condition of transport.

Is it likely to be viable in the future for other groups to send equipment to events where it will not perform any function other than to stand around all weekend on display (i.e. no fantrip use, equipment tours, or supporting role in presentations)?

Or are host organizations just going to have to do what they can with the equipment they already have on the property?

MX

by Steamtown Observer

Is it likely to be viable in the future for other groups to send equipment to events where it will not perform any function other than to stand around all weekend on display (i.e. no fantrip use, equipment tours, or supporting role in presentations)?

Or are host organizations just going to have to do what they can with the equipment they already have on the property?
I think the answer is that little equipment will move for a remote event, unless it is a big ticket excursion. For example the Bennett Levin E8 trip this weekend I am sure the cost of getting all the equipment to and from Philadelphia, let alone the cost of running the trip, is only possible because of the high ticket price being paid by enough people. If 100 people are riding at an average fare of $3000, that gives you $300,000 to deal with the costs.

I suspect the need to bring in revenue is part of the reason for the Erie Lackawanna Dining Society trips using the visiting New York & Greenwood Lake equipment the following week.

by mxdata

If your analysis is correct (I do not doubt it at all) then groups are going to need to come up with interesting and innovative activities based around the equipment they have on hand in their own collections rather than relying on large outdoor displays of equipment from other organizations. This could generate some very significant changes in the way events like this are planned and presented. This actually might work rather well with the changing demographic of the hobby, since it seems that many enthusiasts are getting much more technically oriented. Maybe there is a future for informative programs at railfan events after all, the railfan world will not just turn into one endless slide-music presentation.!

by Otto Vondrak

From the ELHS List: NYGL Erie E8 833 will be running from Port Jervis to Binghamton with four passenger cars in daylight over the Tier. Departure is supposed to be around 11:30am on October 31. Go get 'em!

-otto-

by Tri-State Tom

Otto -
NYGL Erie E8 833 will be running from Port Jervis to Binghamton with four passenger cars in daylight over the Tier

TODAY ??

What other 2 passenger cars besides the 2 owned by NYGL ?

by Tri-State Tom

So....not counting the usual Steamtown stuff, what is the revised/expected line-up ?

As near as I can tell....

* ERIE E8A #833
* Pennsy E8A's
* D-L Alco's
* ELDCPS Nickel Plate City of Lima
* NYGL PV's (2)
* 8 PV's with the Pennsy E's excursion

What else ?

by thebigham

I'll be there on Saturday.

I'm looking forward to a trolley ride.

by Steamtown Observer

My understanding is that the Bennett Levin train is delivering 3 Amtrak cars for display at Steamtown. This is in place of there being a deadhead Amtrak train coming down from Albany.

NY&GL is bringing 4 passenger cars, however only 2 are being used by Steamtown on this weekend's excursions. The other two are for use on the ELDCPS excursions Nov. 10th & 11th.

Canadian Pacific is sending at least the D&H lightning striped engine and may also being sending a second one along as well.

by mxdata

Fascinating that all the "buzz" I am hearing about this event is entirely centered around the visiting E-units. They seem to be almost entirely the focus of the attention. Maybe Steamtown needs to get some more diesels.

MX

by chuchubob

If 614 or 142 were bringing a train to Scranton, that would be the buzz. The chartered train with PRR E8's and PV is a worthwhile subject for discussing where/when to see/photograph its trip.

by mxdata

A posting on RYPN says the 763 is leaving Roanoke for the Ohio Central tomorrow. Sounds like that is the closest any steam locomotives are going to get to buzzing Pennsylvania for a while. :wink:
  by JJSmith

I have heard that the expected departure time from Philly for the PRR E8 special is 7:30 and 9:00. What is the true departure time?

Jeff Smith

by RDG467

Don't know about the time, but the PV's are at 30th St., as of 8 am this morning. Saw them while driving to work......