Railroad Forums 

• Signals test

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#276749  by traveling man

Hello,

I am hoping to start the conductor training program in about a month. I know that I have to take a signals test and wanted to get started memorizing now. Can anyone help me with what I need to study and where I'd find it. I appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Paul
 #276827  by Noel Weaver

traveling man wrote:Hello,

I am hoping to start the conductor training program in about a month. I know that I have to take a signals test and wanted to get started memorizing now. Can anyone help me with what I need to study and where I'd find it. I appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Paul
If you are working for the railroad or in training for the CSX, you should
have been provided a copy of "CSX - Signal Aspects and Indications Rules
and this will provide you with the information that you seek.
I do not think it is appropriate to post information from that publication on
here and in addition the entire publication is copyrighted by CSX so I will
not.
If you are in training, you will need to provide yourself with the proper
materials and publications.
Noel Weaver

#276857  by traveling man

As I stated, I haven't started yet, I am wanting to get a jump on the class. I am not asking for a copy of the test, I want to know what signals to study so that I can start memorizing now. I didn't know if there was an online resource available. That is what prompted my question.

Thanks

#277015  by Noel Weaver

traveling man wrote:As I stated, I haven't started yet, I am wanting to get a jump on the class. I am not asking for a copy of the test, I want to know what signals to study so that I can start memorizing now. I didn't know if there was an online resource available. That is what prompted my question.

Thanks
I don't know of any on line source for this information. Signal rules and
indications are very important and they may require 100 per cent
correct answers on the signal test.
Noel Weaver

#277045  by clearblock

There used to be some NORAC signal training on-line but the site seems to be gone. In any event, you need to study the currrent CSX signal rules and not risk confusion from studying something obsolete or irrevelvant you may find on-line.

#278037  by CSX Conductor

Good luck with those CSX Signals....uggh, some are similar to Norac but there are some that are just plain old weird, such as a Stop & Open Switch Signal. What is the purpose of this signal?!? :P

#278307  by Noel Weaver

CSX Conductor wrote:Good luck with those CSX Signals....uggh, some are similar to Norac but there are some that are just plain old weird, such as a Stop & Open Switch Signal. What is the purpose of this signal?!? :P
Speaking only from a guess without looking at the books, I would think
that the above signal is like the "distant switch signals" which were once
quite common especially on the old New Haven Railroad and on the
Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines. The Long Island Rail Road still has
a fair number of these signals in use on the Montauk Branch east of
Speonk and possible on the main line east of Ronkonkoma as well. With
anything other than a clear indication, the train needed to slow to
restricted speed prepared to stop short of obstruction or improperly lined
switch. In some cases, the same signal would apply to two or more
switches. To the best of my knowledge, most if not all that were on the
former New Haven Railroad were removed many years ago.
These signals have saved some pretty nasty mishaps over the years and
if they were still in common use, they woud today too.
Noel Weaver

#278713  by CSX Conductor

Noel, the signals that you described warning of open switches makes sense. However, if I remember correctly, CSXT's "Stop & Open Switch" Signal means just what it says: Stop, and then open the switch. My question is why would a signal be needed to tell a crew to stop @ a switch that I assume they already plan on operating and then operate said switch.

#278855  by Noel Weaver

CSX Conductor wrote:Noel, the signals that you described warning of open switches makes sense. However, if I remember correctly, CSXT's "Stop & Open Switch" Signal means just what it says: Stop, and then open the switch. My question is why would a signal be needed to tell a crew to stop @ a switch that I assume they already plan on operating and then operate said switch.
OH!, I guess that is what was years ago often called a "take siding signal"
which was in use on some railroads in a "poor man's CTC" situation. The
dispatcher could put that indication on a signal and the crew would have
to line their own switch and close it back up after they got in the clear.
Sometimes these were spring switches so the train could come back out
on the main after the meet on a signal indication. Maybe?
Noel Weaver
 #278865  by jg greenwood

traveling man wrote:Hello,

Thanks,
Paul
Some individuals on railroad.net are so ANAL it's pathetic!! I'm not referring to you traveling man. Have a look see at this web-site, hopefully you'll find the info you're seeking.
www.amdg.ws

Click on Job Training Opportunities, and then Pre-Training.

#278879  by Penn Central

traveling man wrote:As I stated, I haven't started yet, I am wanting to get a jump on the class. I am not asking for a copy of the test, I want to know what signals to study so that I can start memorizing now. I didn't know if there was an online resource available. That is what prompted my question.

Thanks
You don't need a copy of the test, but you should be able to get a copy of the CSX rulebook that will include signal names and indications. Go to any stationary store and get some colored markers and 3x5 cards. On the plain side, color in the signals. On the lined side, write the name and indication. It should look something like this:
If you know how to use PowerPoint, you can do the same thing there using slides. With the 3x5 cards, you can have friends show you them at random. Even with modern computer programs, students still use this method to memorize signals. The image above does not represent CSX signals, it is just to demonstrate the method I described. Good luck to you!

#280523  by the missing link

you can down load the norac signals off the amdg site, see the section on employment. the best way to test yourself on them is to put them on index cards and have someone quiz you randomly and frequently. on the signals test you have to know the indication verbatim.

#280528  by shacnuf62089

talking about signals...restricted or restricted proceed...what exactly is it? i understand that i means something like proceed slowly or something like that. But i don't understand what it's needed for. And how does it show on the signals? Is it one red and a dark signal?

#280724  by jonnhrr

Restricted speed is a speed that allows a train to stop within one half of the range of vision, short of another train, obstruction, switch not properly lined, etc. It is used for example when operating on unsignaled track such as a spur or yard track. Under NORAC the speed is 20 MPH outside interlocking limits and 15 MPH within interlocking limits (rule 80).

On a signal I belive it usually displays as a red over red over yellow for an interlocking signal or yellow for a dwarf signal.

Hope this helps.

Jon D

#280985  by CSX Conductor

shacnuf62089 wrote:talking about signals...restricted or restricted proceed...what exactly is it?
Restricted Speed is the speed to proceed at whereas "Restricted Proceed" is the name of a signal which allows trains to pass a stop signal displaying a number plate and proceed at Restricetd Speed (same as NORAC's "Stop & Proceed" with the exception that on CSX the actual stop before the signal is not required.)

As for downloading and studying NORAC rules before AMDG, for most of you I would suggest not doing this because CSXT doesn't have any parts that operate on NORAC anymore, unfortunately :( . You should concentrate on CSXT Signals only because the only place you will see NORAC signals will be on foreign railroads. Keep it simple and learn the important ones for the school first. :wink: