Railroad Forums 

• Signals test

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#281038  by jg greenwood

Does it ever fail? One of the primary problems with railroad forums is the tendency of railfans to jump right in to answer a question much better left to actual railroaders. I ask you, if your degree is in journalism and someone asks a question about journalism, would you not be better qualified to answer than a railroader? There's a newspaper "fellow" on trainorders that makes a habit of this. It's almost as if it would literally kill him to keep quite and let questions be correctly and completely answered. This post is directed at those guilty of the above.

#281048  by Noel Weaver

jg greenwood wrote:Does it ever fail? One of the primary problems with railroad forums is the tendency of railfans to jump right in to answer a question much better left to actual railroaders. I ask you, if your degree is in journalism and someone asks a question about journalism, would you not be better qualified to answer than a railroader? There's a newspaper "fellow" on trainorders that makes a habit of this. It's almost as if it would literally kill him to keep quite and let questions be correctly and completely answered. This post is directed at those guilty of the above.
I agree, years ago on the railroad we called these people "SHITHOUSE
LAWYERS".
Noel Weaver

#281303  by Penn Central

jg greenwood wrote:Does it ever fail? One of the primary problems with railroad forums is the tendency of railfans to jump right in to answer a question much better left to actual railroaders. I ask you, if your degree is in journalism and someone asks a question about journalism, would you not be better qualified to answer than a railroader? There's a newspaper "fellow" on trainorders that makes a habit of this. It's almost as if it would literally kill him to keep quite and let questions be correctly and completely answered. This post is directed at those guilty of the above.
I have to admit that some of us with railroad experience are discouraged from posting when a railfan wants to debate what we were required to know for our job. If someone studied NORAC signals for a CSX test, they would get the famous Donald Trump line that no one wants to hear.

I give a lot of credit to the Amtrak crews in Albany. They had to pass rules and signal tests for CSX, Metro-North, NORAC, CP and VT Rail. Not an easy task.
Noel Weaver wrote: I agree, years ago on the railroad we called these people "SHITHOUSE
LAWYERS".
We had another term when they were not employees, but I'll be nice, Noel. :wink:

#281452  by Noel Weaver

Penn Central wrote:
I have to admit that some of us with railroad experience are discouraged from posting when a railfan wants to debate what we were required to know for our job. If someone studied NORAC signals for a CSX test, they would get the famous Donald Trump line that no one wants to hear.

I give a lot of credit to the Amtrak crews in Albany. They had to pass rules and signal tests for CSX, Metro-North, NORAC, CP and VT Rail. Not an easy task.
Noel Weaver wrote: I agree, years ago on the railroad we called these people "SHITHOUSE
LAWYERS".
We had another term when they were not employees, but I'll be nice, Noel. :wink:
You can also add to the Amtrak engineers in Albany the CN between the
border and Montreal and Canada certification.
Noel Weaver

#284153  by jonnhrr

Don't know if this is directed at me, since I did post earlier to answer a question and I am indeed a railfan and not a professional railroader. I saw that the question had gone unanswered for almost a day and thought the definition of "restricted" was straightforward enough to take a shot at it. I apologize if I caused any confusion.

However if I stopped posting anything anywhere where there might be someone more qualified than I on a particular subject I wouldn't be posting much of anything at all! Anyone who cares to review the 97 posts I have made on this board will see that I do not make it a practice to jump in and post willy-nilly as some of the people being complained about and I will continue to post if I feel I have the correct answer to a question.

Jon D

#309628  by BCLRConductor

I'm happy to see someone in the same boat as me. Although lucky to already work for a local shortline RR that has alot of contact with CSX, I too am looking for anything that will better prepare me for the Class I railroad that I am persuing. Hopefully I can get a copy of the CSX - Signal Aspects and Indications Rules today.

#309645  by CSXT 700

Me personaly I wouldent worry about studdying before, as when I went 7 years ago and as it still is happening today, they are being taught the wrong signals for the tetory to where they were going to. My specific class was taught the right signals only because the two CSX conductors giving the class worked in the same area all of us were going. But there was and still is (I say this as pre Atlanta, mabey things have gotten smarter) being taught the wrong rules. One calss of kids who came on right behind my were taught the B&O Color Position Lights, to get up in Michigan and find out that there arnt any around there. Guess what they had to re-learn them. Manny more were taught Seaboard or NORAC and also got here and had to re-learn. Seams that even though CSX knew where all the kids were going, they couldent seeam to figure out what signals they needed to know. Wait till you have to go to engineers school, you have to know them all except the B&O.

As far as no NORAC rules or signals on CSX anymore. Sorry they all still apply.
 #309692  by amtrakhogger

At first it sounds like a signal that informs the engineer that a switch
ahead is open, but it just may be a "take siding" signal.

The PRR had a "take siding" signal which was an "X" on a position light
signal.

#310079  by CSX Conductor

BCLRConductor, when you do obtain the book, it would be the signals in the second section, which are Norac based. :wink: Also, all of the locals working on MBCR, B&M, Providence & Worcester, & Amtrak operate under NORAC sgnals and rules. :wink:
 #310120  by BCLRConductor

I was able to obtain a few more CSX books lastnight... (You would think I would of been issued these when I started... :(

I have the following CSX Material:

CSX United States Hazardous Materials Instructions For Rail Effective July 1, 2004
CSX Air Brake and Train Handling Rules Effective July 1, 2004
CSX Safety Rules Effective July 1, 2004
CSX Safe Way Effective January 1, 2006
CSX Equipment Handling Rules July 1, 2004
CSX Signal Aspects and Indictions Rules Effective October 1, 2004 :wink:
CSX Albany Division Timetable No. 4 Effective November 1, 2004

And prolly missing a few more I'm sure... :(

CSX Conductor, I'm not exactly sure which section your referring too in the Signal Aspects book. Maybe Section 2 starts with Rule C-1280 and ends with Rule C-1298 ? I am Familiar with the NORAC Signals and Rules as this is what I use on my current job and as you mentioned MBCR uses them too which tracks I do travel on once or twice a week. I appreciate your help. :-D
 #310127  by BCLRConductor

I heard they give the Signal test in black & white down in Atlanta. Is this true? Wouldn't suprise me... "Hey Matt let's make this a little harder." :wink:

#310202  by CSX Conductor

CSXT 700 wrote:Wait till you have to go to engineers school, you have to know them all except the B&O.
know them by name or write out the definitions?

#310203  by Kick'em

I went through Atlanta a year ago and did not have to retake the paper form of the signals test, but did take it on a computer (PODS). Some instructors may regive the signals test to scare incoming trainees, but not actually grade them.

Once you have had a chance to look over the signals, you will find that many of them seem to have 2 parts, an action and a speed. Medium Clear - (speed) Medium speed through turn outs, crossovers, sidings and over power operated switchts then (action) proceed.

Once you have that figured out, it becomes much easier.

#310207  by CSX Conductor

I know all the signals and their meanings for my territorries, just have trouble writing them down by the exact definitions. :(

#310252  by CSXT 700

You will have to know all of them by every witch way you can think of. And some may have the same color combos, but not mean the same thing.

For example, Red over Yellow, over Yellow.

Seaboard (1280-1298) Name and Indication Medium Advance Approach. Medium Speed through turnouts, crossovers, sidings, and over power opperated switches; then proceed, approaching next signal not exceeding Slow Speed.

Chessie (C-1280- C-1298) Name and Indication Medium Approach.
Medium Speed through turnouts, crossovers, sidings, and over power operated switches; then proceed prepared to stop at the next signal.

NORAC (CR-1280- CR 1294
There is none.

You have to know them, cause it dose make a diffrence. I wouldent worry all that much. Do what you have to, to make it through the school, and you will get comfortable, with them, as you start to train, especally on the ones you need to know.

Last I had a conservation with a signal maintainer, all the railroad (including CR) is supposed to go over to Seaboard signals, as they are replaced, given time. Right now the big push is in the Michigan, Ohio, Penn., Indiana, and Illinois area right now.