Railroad Forums 

• SD26 and SD39 status

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#626853  by KSmitty

Its economical that makes sense i knew Pan Am had to be making money one way or another. On the topic of Pan am 6axles what happened to their fleet of SD-45's. I think most were sold in the 90's, but if thats true why did they keep the 681 in service?
 #626874  by NV290

KSmitty wrote:Why has Pan Am allowed their six axle fleet to fall apart while they are so strapped for power. Isnt maintaining your own fleet of power cheaper than leasing?
The 4 axle fleet is falling apart as well. They just have alot more of them.

Of the three 6 axles PAR has left, the two oldest models have alot of unique parts and there is simply no spares. The 690 simply has an electrical issue that they either 1, cannot figure out or 2, do not have the parts to repair it. It produces no real power over 10MPH.
 #627415  by SteveO

I caught the 621/643/690 trio headed into RJ last Friday (behind a red leaser, and 305 or 306 was leading). It's always cool to see those units out this way, but isn't it kind of far for them to go, considering the issues mentioned?
 #627710  by newpylong

SteveO wrote:I caught the 621/643/690 trio headed into RJ last Friday (behind a red leaser, and 305 or 306 was leading). It's always cool to see those units out this way, but isn't it kind of far for them to go, considering the issues mentioned?
The majority of the mechnical issues can be handled at Deerfield, so trips out West are not far at all.
 #628177  by SteveO

newpylong wrote:The majority of the mechnical issues can be handled at Deerfield, so trips out West are not far at all.
Oh I see..I was thinking far from the Maine shops. Is the terrain harder for them on the west end..or do they pull the hills good, just slow?
 #628197  by NV290

SteveO wrote:
newpylong wrote:The majority of the mechnical issues can be handled at Deerfield, so trips out West are not far at all.
Oh I see..I was thinking far from the Maine shops. Is the terrain harder for them on the west end..or do they pull the hills good, just slow?

Guilfords heavy repair shop is Waterville. Deerfield handles mainly running repairs and 92/368 day tests. The biggest job East Deerfield would do would be power assemblies and wheel/motor swapouts, and even those repairs would generally only happen if Waterville was swamped. Anything involving pulling compressors, main generators, heavy engine repairs, fuel tanks and major electric work is done at Waterville.

While Maine has it's share of hills, the west end has some pretty brutal ones as well. Below 10mph the 600 series units help, but there still more deadweight then anything.
 #628534  by mick

But it is not uncommon to see them on the West End of the Railroad. 690-621-643 were the regular power for EDRJ/SEED for a long time. They can always send a unit to Waterville dead-in-tow on a freight if it has a major problem, the 600's are definetely NOT the only engines that have problems, electrical or otherwise. Usually, when one of those 600's goes to Waterville, it doesn't come back.
 #628542  by SteveO

One thing I've noticed recently when I catch them out this way, is that they're never alone. Whether its a train with one, two or all three of them they're always with other units.

Are they just used now to help with certain slow/steep areas of the line, and along for the ride otherwise? Or maybe I've just been missing it...
 #628779  by truman

A few weeks ago I was lurking by the rte 107 (East Kingston) crossing when the two 26's went east running light. I have no idea how fast they were going, but they were moving. Is their inability to get out of their own way related to having something on the drawbar?
 #628807  by NV290

truman wrote:A few weeks ago I was lurking by the rte 107 (East Kingston) crossing when the two 26's went east running light. I have no idea how fast they were going, but they were moving. Is their inability to get out of their own way related to having something on the drawbar?
Maximum speed for light engines on Guilford is 30mph. And yes, the issue with not loading really only comes into play when they actually have to pull a load. Running light with no train would cause little if any issue with them making track speed.
 #628808  by NV290

SteveO wrote:One thing I've noticed recently when I catch them out this way, is that they're never alone. Whether its a train with one, two or all three of them they're always with other units.

Are they just used now to help with certain slow/steep areas of the line, and along for the ride otherwise? Or maybe I've just been missing it...
Don't know the reason why they are latley seen together. I know that keeping them together at least keeps things to a minimum when it comes to going places with 6 axle restrictions. Such as most (but not all) of Lawrence yard and the 10mph speed restriction going through CPF-AS with 6 axles. But other then that, its simply a guess.
 #629177  by octr202

As noted in the leasers thread, 690 was on NMED on 1/24 trailing HLCX 7182.
 #629334  by NV290

octr202 wrote:As noted in the leasers thread, 690 was on NMED on 1/24 trailing HLCX 7182.
Yes, it went through Gardner last night with the 381 as well going west on NMED.