• SD26 and SD39 status

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by KSmitty

I saw the 690 on its way to waterville, last tuesday. was it on its way to the deadline or just a 92 day inspection? does anyone know
  by csrrfan86

#690 and #621 in the power lashup for NMED on March 7th.
  by KSmitty

OK, i was just wondering, i must have missed the 621 on the northbound train. I almost never see the 690 so i just wondered if it was done. good to know its still kicking at 10mph :)
  by thebigham

The 3 SDs are in storage at East Deerfield. They might be retiring them. That's the rumor right now.
  by MEC407

That's the scuttlebutt about the remaining GP35s as well. Not too surprising, considering that traffic is down and Pan Am continues to lose customers. They've parked whole classes of units in the past when traffic was down, only to put them back in service when traffic levels went back up.
  by KSmitty

Yeah but if these rumors are true then this could be the end of the 600 class. Why would they store 3 locomotives only to start them up later. With a whole class there are extra parts, but the sixpacks that are left barely work anyway, and there arent any extra parts. I think that once there in storage theyre done :(
  by MEC407

The SD39 uses most of the same parts as the GP40s. The SD26s use some of the same parts, but not as many. Those old beasts are long past their prime.
  by KSmitty

Yeah but the six axles are oddballs on the PAR roster and if they continue to pursue the wonders of the GP-40, they don't fit in. Any way this is all just rumors, no sense bogging down in this until we know whats going on.
  by thebigham

I knew this would happen. As soon as they were power short, the engines would be put back in service. Good news.
  by Finch

Seems the 35's and HLCX unit's are next for storage, 214, 209, 6416, 6317 @ ED.
You think they're going to store the leasers? Aren't those some of the best units they have these days? Or is it just not worth paying to use them if they aren't getting much use?
  by newpylong

Finch wrote:
You think they're going to store the leasers? Aren't those some of the best units they have these days? Or is it just not worth paying to use them if they aren't getting much use?
Not sure why but part of the Leaser deal was that 5 units (I think that's the #) must remain in storage at all times.
  by Finch

newpylong wrote:
Finch wrote:
Not sure why but part of the Leaser deal was that 5 units (I think that's the #) must remain in storage at all times.
Oh, OK. So how many leasers are there total?
  by KSmitty

I think there's 15 leasers. And i thought that the deal was if PAR would store them then they could use up to five at any given time. But maybe it was ten, i dont remember-check some of the threads on the leasers for more info.
  by newpylong

KSmitty wrote:I think there's 15 leasers. And i thought that the deal was if PAR would store them then they could use up to five at any given time. But maybe it was ten, i dont remember-check some of the threads on the leasers for more info.

5 in storage - A group of 5 was together on the Berkshire in Deerfield for a long time. I think they've been split up since then.

They should be going back when the lease is up at the end of April.