• SD26 and SD39 status

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by KSmitty

Sorry to dig up an old topic but...
I was wondering are the leasers still on PAR or have they left?
Also i saw, i think on here, that the 690 was inoperable, what is its current condition?
and lastly, the 681 has been in the waterville shops for a month or more (i think) any news on that locomotive?
  by MEC407

The leasers are definitely still around. Mostly on the west end, but they do get to Portland and Waterville occasionally.
  by KSmitty

I had seen a few lately, but its been a few weeks, and i didn't know. Thanks
  by newpylong

Yeah not sure what's going on - maybe they extended the lease indefinitely - maybe just until the rumored 30 or so NS units arrive, if they ever do. Who knows...
  by KSmitty

Any news on the 690, is it still running or is it OOS?
  by CN9634

I believe the lease is up in July but we'll see.
  by thebigham

KSmitty wrote:Any news on the 690, is it still running or is it OOS?
According to Bill Gingrich's PAR roster, 690 has been stored OOS at Waterville since May 2009.
  by SteveO

Caught 690 and 643 along with a leaser running light out of RJ yesterday...I assume heading for the wye. Good to see them still running.
  by KSmitty

atholrail wrote:643 "blew up"
??? What went wrong? anyone know?

by drcrf93

Tim Mullins wrote:Engine 681 has a broken crank shaft and I'm sure it will not be repaired. To bad!!! It was a good engine

Yes, I think that was in late 2007. :(
That was a great engine. I only saw it once. The old Springfield Terminal engines are my favorite.
atholrail wrote:643 "blew up" at Athol last week on EDRU. Dead to Waterville.
Did it overheat or something? It seems strange that an engine would suddenly "blow up".
  by MEC407

"Blew up" is a huge exaggeration, I'm sure. Locomotives don't typically "blow up" -- and when they do, it usually makes the newspapers and the TV news!

Rumor on one of the Yahoo groups is that it lost a traction motor, which seems much more plausible to me.
  by KSmitty

MEC407 wrote:Rumor on one of the Yahoo groups is that it lost a traction motor, which seems much more plausible to me.
Yep, that seems to be the common thought. They also said it would be a 6-8 hour repair and it should be up and running soon, but who knows.
  by csrrfan86

643 was with 327 and 315 on POSE in Lowell yesterday. The LA-1 crew took 315 for their power. 643 was up and running.
  by Noel Weaver

A crankcase explosion is not particularly uncommon with a diesel engine, I had them happen to me on the road a couple of
times. Repairs are a shop job but the event does not warrant a newspaper article or item unless it happens to be on a
passenger train and results in something spectacular.
I remember this happening on an EMD more so than anything else. Early Alco's could also be hit with this if the crankcase
exhaustor was not working properly.
Noel Weaver