Railroad Forums 

• Save the F40PH

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#561901  by Ham549

I got a temporary website up for my "Save the F40PH" project (still needs work) http://ham549.googlepages.com/home and I have put together a check list of things that need to be done. First and foremost I need to become a non-profit organization as I don’t expect people to just send me money. As F40PHR231 said “By having a federally recognized not-for-profit 501(c)(3) status, donors are assured that the money they contribute isn't going into my wallet, but rather to the preservation project without questions.” But to get back to my point here is the checklist I have made.

-Find an official home for the F40PH.

-Become a non-profit or get a non-profit group to back me.

-Start an account for raising money. (needs to complete step above before doing this)

-Get a more official web page.

Getting a home for the F40PH at the trolley museum is seeming like an no go but as that door closes another one opens but again I can't say anything officially yet. The getting a non-profit to back me seems to be very difficult as they always are to wrapped up in there own projects to help out
Although this new place I found seems loaded with F40PH fans and hopefully some are on the board of directors. The web page also needs to get done because a Google web page doesn't scream "Hey, I'm serious about what I am doing."

P.S. I hope I'm not annoying anyone by posting this everywhere I just want to get the word out.
 #562197  by Otto Vondrak

HI-

Just a couple of questions.

- Who are you?

- Why do you want to save an F40PH?

- What unit do you seek and where do you want to preserve it?

I just want to learn more about you and your project.

-otto-
 #562206  by byte

Just out of curiosity, why are only Amtrak F40PH units the only ones targeted for preservation on your website (or at least, as per the roster which is on there, which only has Amtrak units). At least two Amtrak units have already been preserved, and some patience (i.e., waiting a few years) might result in an opportunity to acquire a unit from a commuter agency which had less wear and tear inflicted upon it (making it an easier/cheaper unit to operate and/or restore).
 #562289  by Ham549

- Who are you?
No one well known really. I am 23 and live in Massachusetts and am active at the Shelburne Falls Trolley Museum and am just starting out doing work for the Berkshire Scenic RR

- Why do you want to save an F40PH?
They play a huge part in American railroad history, also for personal reasons too.

- What unit do you seek and where do you want to preserve it?
A unit that well represents the typical F40PH front mounted K5LA, embedded ditch lights, duel strobe, and roof mounted AC unit ex... ex...
 #562763  by Otto Vondrak

Hi, nobody, do you have a name? :-D

Well, your heart is in the right place. I have to tell you, that working as an individual, you're going to have a very hard time gaining any support for your project.

The process is not:

1) Buy an engine

2) Bring it to a museum

3) Enjoy

Railroads, equipment dealers, whoever you deal with, will want to work with an established organization with a plan, not an individual on a mission. You are better off submitting a proposal to an established museum that can accept, restore, care for, and display your F40PH. If you can provide a proposal that outlines where you will obtain your funding, how you will sustain the locomotive, and who will take care of it, then you can start raising funds and locating an engine. For instance, an F40 does not belong at the Shelburne Trolley Museum. It also doesn't belong at the Berkshire Scenic. It could work at a place like Illinois Railway Museum, they have more of a "railroad campus" that is well suited for the F40. But that's the first step- see if you can ally yourself with a museum or organization with the same goal you have of preserving an F40PH. Much better than going it alone.

-otto-
 #563232  by Noel Weaver

ALL, Be advised that the price of scrap is way up right now.
Noel Weaver
 #563247  by mxdata

And if you are going to try to save an F40PH you are much better off to go after an MBTA 1050 class stretch unit with the separate HEP, because replacement parts for the gearbox HEP in the original F40s are going to be increasingly difficult to find as they are retired. With a separate HEP unit you have the option of replacing the engine/alternator HEP package with something newer if it becomes necessary later on, with minimal appearance impact on the locomotive (just as the MBTA did with the 1050s).

But the entire 1050 class was rebuilt about five years ago, so plan on waiting another ten to fifteen years before they even consider retiring any of them. Given the financial situation in Massachusetts it might be even longer than that.

So the least expensive alternative is to go out and take pictures of them now.

MX
 #564284  by GSC

As someone involved in railroad museum operations for almost 40 years, I can only say that you have to accept this as your life's work. Literally. Every waking moment will be involved somehow in your locomotive.

Want to start a 501c3? Ask the URHS guys or the Friends about that. Not easy establishing that IRS determination. And having a 501c3 status does not prevent you from stuffing your pockets with donations. Always something in the papers about some non-profit official getting caught raiding the till.

At 23 years old, I admire your ambition. On the other hand, my son-in-law is 22, about as ambitious as a wet washrag, and changes his mind constantly. Watching him jades me a little, and I wonder if the rest of his generation is like him.

I wish you well, I just hope you are realistic about what you are getting into.

And an F40? I'll be a NIMBY in this case, I don't want any wide-open throttle Screamin' F40s near me!

Makes me feel old when someone wants to preserve a F40 as a museum piece. Are they that old already? Sheesh. Like seeing an '83 Mercury with historic plates...
 #565196  by Ham549

I can only say that you have to accept this as your life's work. Literally. Every waking moment will be involved somehow in your locomotive.
In some sense it already is like that. I probably don't go 15 seconds without thinking about this project and what needs to be done and how the clock is ticking away. It really wares me down and the worse part is no one seems to take me seriously. If only more people could understand how physically and emotionally draining this has been for me they may be able to grasp just how serious I really am. I am already active in railroad preservation driving long distances every weekend to do volunteering at The Shelburne Falls Trolley Museum on Saturdays, (Where I am sometimes the only operating crew person there for the whole day), and The Berkshire Scenic Railroad on Sundays. adding to the time I spend doing my real job I hardly catch a brake but because I am so dedicated to this I am able to muster up the strength to pull it off.
 #566444  by Otto Vondrak

It's probably "wearing" you down and you can't catch a "break," but what we're trying to explain to you (and you're making the case for us) is that ONE PERSON CAN'T DO IT ALONE. You need to work with an established organization that shares your goal, not an an individual on a mission.

-otto-
 #569309  by Ham549

It's probably "wearing" you down and you can't catch a "break," but what we're trying to explain to you (and you're making the case for us) is that ONE PERSON CAN'T DO IT ALONE. You need to work with an established organization that shares your goal, not an an individual on a mission.
Trying to find an Organization is the hard part, Chris had Doyle McCormack to help him out. It looks like I am going to have to bite the bullet and pay out $$$ to start a non-profit on my own :( . I have come to find out no one seems to care and those who do aren't in high positions in these organizations. There are a ton of F40PH fans at the BSRM but I still have to convince the heads that it is a good idea (F40PH's can't haul a train in reverse safely because of the cab set up) so We would need a cab car or another F40PH.
 #569455  by Otto Vondrak

I hardly think that Berkshire Scenic is the appropriate home for an Amtrak F40PH. How does it enhance the museum's mission or help operations? You are fighting an uphill battle trying to start your own independent tax-exempt organization (did you read any of the posts above?)... and you still haven't answered any of these important questions:

1) Where will you obtain an F40PH from?

2) How will raise the money to pay for it?

3) How will you transport it?

4) Where will you move the unit to? Stored on a private siding or at a museum or restoration facility?

5) After you purchase and move the unit, then what? Restoration? Display?

6) Who will pay for its continued upkeep?

Answer those questions before you go nuts trying to start your own non-profit.

-otto-
 #569726  by Ham549

1) Where will you obtain an F40PH from?
There are a lot of them for sale right now Rail world, Titan, http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/f40-418.htm

2) How will raise the money to pay for it?
Selling stuff online, PayPal donations ex ex

3) How will you transport it?
By rail

4) Where will you move the unit to? Stored on a private siding or at a museum or restoration facility?
museum

5) After you purchase and move the unit, then what? Restoration? Display?
Both

6) Who will pay for its continued upkeep?
Donations, my own pocket, revenue it generates from hauling trains.

I hardly think that Berkshire Scenic is the appropriate home for an Amtrak F40PH. How does it enhance the museum's mission or help operations?
A locomotive with HEP and the ability to MU and pull a large train all help.
 #569800  by Ham549

That one was rebuilt fairly recently but other sources have confirmed that 100k to 200k is the asking price.