Railroad Forums 

• Save the F40PH

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#577991  by Stmtrolleyguy

Here's my two cents :

1. Find a museum that preferably WANTS an F40.

There is A LOT of mechanical and cosmetic work that will be required on any locomotive. It needs paint. It needs oil. It will need brake shoes changed. It's got bearings to be oiled, gears to be greased.
If you don't find a museum that wants an F40, you'll be doing all of the work on it yourself, which is a HUGE amount, assuming you even know how to do ALL the work on it. Get a museum that might be willing to porovide support for the technical stuff you might not know how to do. Sometimes just a second pair of hands to help makes a HUGE difference. Find an environment where your F40 will be a "favorable guest." You might have trouble finding somewhere that wants an F40 to run - you might have to find somewhere to just store/display it first, while you fundraise and do other things.

2. Wait a while.

There are F40s out there, especially here on the MBTA. Saving one is a good idea; They may be common to us, but how many other past "common" locomotives don't exist anymore?
If you really want to preserve an F40, you need to do it right - you don't want it to become a piece of junk rusting away in a museum like a lot of things now sadly are. This is one reason people won't donate until you show you've got a credible plan - people want to give money to a locomotive that will be properly cared for and run, not that will rust away to junk. Theres only so much money and expertise to go around. Also,

3. Network

Find other people interested in preserving an F40. Find people with technical expertise, knowledge, and $$. (You're starting to do that now, which is good.)

4. Learn

While you network, fundraise, take photos, etc, volunteer with a museum where you can start to learn the technical skills and expertise needed to maintain an F40. Learn how to service a large locomotive engine, trucks, etc. Take the "free" time you have now, and learn as much as you can about how to care for the future F40 you hope to get. Its just like getting a new pet - you read up on its care, food needs, habbits, etc. BEFORE it comes home. Take the time to learn and work on someone elses locomotive - you might not be working on your own machine, but you're not paying for it either, and you're gettng "paid" in experience.

I like that you have an idea, and what seems like a lot of dedication towards saving an F40.
But slow down and plan a little bit more about what you want to do, and what you're able to do.
F40s still have time, and will be around for a while more.
 #578782  by wigwagfan

Stmtrolleyguy wrote:2. Wait a while.

There are F40s out there, especially here on the MBTA. Saving one is a good idea; They may be common to us, but how many other past "common" locomotives don't exist anymore?
You know, that might be an excellent piece of advice.

Government agencies generally like to donate their surplus stuff to non-profit entities within the state. Metra, in Chicago, has been good at donating some of their equipment to the Illinois Transit Museum and I want to say I heard somewhere that ITM is likely to end up with a F40PH from Metra when they are retired. I've heard of equipment being donated for a future date - maybe your museum could work with MBTA to designate an F40 for donation upon retirement?

A lot cheaper than spending real money for a F40PH through a broker whose only interest is making money, not a tax write-off.
 #579246  by Ham549

Well it looks like the location I was investigating for a future home for the F40PH is a no go so I am now back to square 1. I had to do some serious thinking as to the future of this project and my thoughts are thus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fawthrQ2yEo But in all seriousness I am still going on with this project despite all the road blocks I have been hitting.
Last edited by Ham549 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #579410  by Otto Vondrak

Dude, take down that video before you further embarrass yourself. Seriously. Before you lose any more credibility. I'm telling you this as a friend.

-otto-
 #579723  by Ham549

For anyone who is not in to internet pop culture this video is a spoofing the "Rick Rolling" phenomenon that has been making it's way around the internet. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickroll for more details. I am just trying something new and creative.
 #579765  by wigwagfan

Otto Vondrak wrote:Dude, take down that video before you further embarrass yourself.
I can only repeat what Otto said, one more way:

Dude, take down that video before you further embarrass yourself.

I'm sorry but while an occassional silly video might make the rounds on YouTube, I'm not looking to hire you for a stupid commercial to hawk...oh, what's that annoying product, HeadOn? Or Vonage? Or beer? Or McDonald's?

I've had a lot of good ideas in the past but because of a lack of support, ability, financial backing, you name it - I've known when to call it a day. I believe the saying is that this idea has jumped the shark with this video. While I actually wholeheartedly support the idea of "saving" an F40PH locomotive (among other models), I just don't see this particular proposal going anywhere...
 #580020  by Otto Vondrak

Ham549 wrote:For anyone who is not in to internet pop culture this video is a spoofing the "Rick Rolling" phenomenon that has been making it's way around the internet. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickroll for more details. I am just trying something new and creative.
Did you hear that sound? It was your credibility going out the window. Channel some of your creativity where it could be put to good use.

-otto-