Railroad Forums 

• Rohr RTL III Turboliners: Status, Location, Disposition

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1633432  by ExCon90

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:03 am.
there were surely once many in railroad's Mechanical Departments who "swore by" steam motive power.
The PRR and some others spent big bucks trying to answer the question "how can we make steam power more efficient?" instead of "what motive power is best suited to our needs?"

It's reported by one rail historian (I can't remember by whom) that when J. M. Symes was PRR's VP in Chicago he reported that the Western roads he was in regular contact with kept telling him that diesels were the way to go but Philadelphia and Altoona didn't want to hear it.

However, I'm inclined to think that the fixed consist of those experimental trains would have worked against them long term in any case.
 #1633437  by Railjunkie

Grandfather came back to Alco after the war. According to him, there was quite a bit of in fighting going on up on the "second floor" as to steam or diesel was the way to fly. Alco had just developed the Niagara class locomotive for the NYCRR and the old timers wanted to run with that concept while the "kids" saw the diesel as the way to go. Well as a welder after the war he spent more time time laid off than working but he stayed until the shops closed.
 #1633476  by jamoldover

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:57 am
photobug56 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:07 pm Also, before the electrification north of New Haven.
Mr. Bug, on the New Haven, the Shore Line and the West End were Timetable East and West, vice North-South.

While possible, I doubt if Amtrak has changed that where their Rules apply (I'm sure if mistaken, I shall be quickly corrected).
You are correct - in fact, except for the portion between Philadelphia and Washington (which is North-South), the entire NEC is an east-west railroad. The PRR was also east-west between Philly (or more specifically, Zoo) and New York.
 #1633479  by STrRedWolf

jamoldover wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:38 pm You are correct - in fact, except for the portion between Philadelphia and Washington (which is North-South), the entire NEC is an east-west railroad. The PRR was also east-west between Philly (or more specifically, Zoo) and New York.
Nope, take out the North/South relation, DC is west of Baltimore which is west of Philadelphia. It's still a east-west railroad, even if it's laid out north-east to south-west.
 #1633483  by ExCon90

Direction on a railroad is whatever the employee timetable says it is, geography notwithstanding, and they customarily do say, "The direction from X to Y is westward," or something similar. On the PRR, ZOO to NY was east, to Washington south, and to Harrisburg west, and PC, Conrail, and Amtrak saw no reason to change. On SEPTA, Suburban Station to Wawa is south; to Chestnut Hill East, north; to Chestnut Hill West, south. (CHE and CHW are about 1/4 mile apart.) In fact, New Haven trains were westbound on the NYC to Woodlawn and eastbound beyond on the NH, without changing direction.