Railroad Forums 

• Rohr RTL III Turboliners: Status, Location, Disposition

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1534214  by Benjamin Maggi

In light of Rapido's recent announcement to produce the Turboliner trains in HO, I ordered a "later" painted version which had black roofs on the engine and cars. I was trying to figure out when Amtrak switched over to the black roof but had no luck. Does anyone know when the switch occurred?
Thanks.
 #1594106  by lensovet

Backshophoss wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:21 pm The remaining sets in NJ and Cedar Hill are used for SWAT/First Responder training,after that abuse,will be scrapped. :(
FWIW they are still there and easily visible from any NY-bound train.
 #1594132  by daybeers

And on the Hartford Line which runs past the Cedar Hill yard just north of New Haven, CT.
 #1594195  by Matt Johnson

Benjamin Maggi wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:00 am In light of Rapido's recent announcement to produce the Turboliner trains in HO, I ordered a "later" painted version which had black roofs on the engine and cars. I was trying to figure out when Amtrak switched over to the black roof but had no luck. Does anyone know when the switch occurred?
Thanks.
Based on photographic evidence I can narrow it down to sometime between 1986 and 1990. I'm afraid I don't know more precisely than that. I was tempted to order one of the Rapido sets, but they are pricey and I just got laid off so once again I'm back in the job hunt and can't really justify that. Hopefully they'll do another production run.

I did write an article just for the heck of it recently and posted it on LinkedIn. It's basically just my thoughts on the Turbo fiasco!

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/high-spe ... ew-johnson
 #1594224  by NaugyRR

I have the Phase V unit pre-ordered, I'm very excited for the release.

In their November Update video, Rapido go over the schemes and dates. Skip to about 1:04:48 in the video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EkDQkNZP-g&t=4089s

If not that video, it may be one of the other sample videos, but I'm pretty sure it's that one.

I have two of their FL9s and a set each of the CT DoT and MTA Shoreliner cars, they're beautiful models. I have an EP5 (which just shipped), a F59PH, and M420 all on pre-order as well. Now all I need is a layout and I can put them to work lol.
 #1603227  by rohr turbo

Ahh, my favorite train in its most attractive livery! Thanks @photobug56

Interesting this was from the period of 4 intermediate turbocoaches.
 #1603257  by photobug56

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:37 am A guess, Mr. Photobug; Syracuse?
Long time ago, but as I recall I was going to Boston and Springfield (the latter was possibly on Bud SPV's). The Turbo liner was sleek, great looking in and out, and as I recall I was in the seating in the front power car, and chatted with the engineer pre departure.
 #1603308  by Wayside

I had the distinct pleasure of operating this equipment several times back in the day. Fun to run! Like playing with a toy compared to the vast majority of heavy trains I ran over the years. They weren't built to last, though. Designed and built more like aircraft than railroad equipment.
 #1603312  by photobug56

Having what was essentially the engine of a turbo prop... The engineer I talked to enjoyed operating them. He did tell me about the plans for upgrades to make them more fuel efficient.