Railroad Forums 

• Rohr RTL III Turboliners: Status, Location, Disposition

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1630610  by lensovet

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:09 am As reported here, there is, or was, another somewhere along the Corridor in NJ; also for Police SWAT training.
Correct, a set is at Amtrak's Adams Yard in North Brunswick.
 #1632691  by Railjunkie

I still for the life of me can not understand the fascination with these things. They were nothing but trouble, the rebuilds by Stuper Steel were nothing but trouble. The last set that was "running" before Pataki and his make work project spent more time being towed by a dual mode than it did running under its own power if it ran at all. The only time I was happy to see one was when it was pieces on the back of a flat bed truck going to its final happy hunting ground. Let them turn into dust good riddance.

JUNK
 #1632752  by electricron

Railjunkie wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:45 am I still for the life of me can not understand the fascination with these things. They were nothing but trouble, the rebuilds by Stuper Steel were nothing but trouble. The last set that was "running" before Pataki and his make work project spent more time being towed by a dual mode than it did running under its own power if it ran at all. The only time I was happy to see one was when it was pieces on the back of a flat bed truck going to its final happy hunting ground. Let them turn into dust good riddance.

JUNK
I am not going to suggest the Turboliners were great, good, or terrible trains. But as for why there is a fascination over them, well New York State did buy them, refurbish them, for Amtrak to use on the Empire Corridor. Ever gave a gift that the receiver was so unhappy to get they refused to use it? Ouch, that does sting!