Railroad Forums 

• Railroad Map with Mileposts and Control Points

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#905304  by bostonrailfan

I have a questions for anyone and everyone. I am interested in looking for a map that shows the trackage in the Boston area and in the state of Massachusetts. The map in question is one that shows mile post markers and control points. If anyone knows where I can find this online, it would be of great help. I am using this as part of a research in writing a book that involves a character that works for a passenger railroad in the Southampton Rail yard. Thank you in advance for your help.
 #905535  by MBTA3247

There's a map floating around of the MBTA's commuter rail network, which has all the interlockings and important mileposts. It's dated 1993, but shows all of the current lines. I don't have a URL for it, but I can email it to you.
 #905650  by F-line to Dudley via Park

The '93 map is the most recent one I've seen. It's not obsolete by any stretch; there haven't been too many changes to the interlockings.

Unfortunately Massachusetts and the MBTA don't have anything near as awesome available as those MNRR, LIRR, SEPTA/NJ Transit, and state of Connecticut track megamaps that RR.net poster checkthedoorlight created.
 #906602  by CSX Conductor

The original poster would probably prefer to get a hold of the employee track charts used for qualifying. Many people don't share those as doing so is a rules violation (divulging company business).

The map linked above looks good. The only thing I noticed which needs to be updated is the Dorchester Branch..... Park Interlocking has was created a few years ago.
 #906612  by Diverging Route

CSX Conductor wrote:The original poster would probably prefer to get a hold of the employee track charts used for qualifying. Many people don't share those as doing so is a rules violation (divulging company business).

The map linked above looks good. The only thing I noticed which needs to be updated is the Dorchester Branch..... Park Interlocking has was created a few years ago.
Also the Mishawum interlocking is gone, and the Anderson station/interlockings are new.
 #906635  by BostonUrbEx

Mcoov wrote:Why are there four drawbridges at N. Station, and two tracks straight through from S. Acton to Ayer? They even show a crossover at King St..
I only see 2 bridges at NS? But I find FX interlocking confusing... Also the lack of detail around BET is probably necessary to avoid clutter, but I find it a little confusing.
 #906667  by bostonrailfan

WOW! That map is great, it shows everything. WOW! Thank you everyone for all your help, really this is awesome, thank you again everyone.
If I have anymore questions, which I might, I will differently post them here. Once again, thank you everyone!
 #908368  by Gerry6309

Rich Greene "checkthedoorlight" is working on a "Southern New England" trackmap. His maps are as accurate as possible, showing every milepost, crossing, bridge, platform, and most industrial sidings and spurs. He already has the shore line posted as far as the CT-RI line. Best maps in the east!
 #908711  by bostonrailfan

Okay cool, I will check those out.
Now here is another question.
I just recently got a scanner and I have been trying to listen to the railroad over by South Station, but I can't seem to get them. I think I have the right frequencies, from what I have looked up on-line, but still can't get them. Why is this, any ideas?
 #908786  by mitch3910

bostonrailfan wrote:Okay cool, I will check those out.
Now here is another question.
I just recently got a scanner and I have been trying to listen to the railroad over by South Station, but I can't seem to get them. I think I have the right frequencies, from what I have looked up on-line, but still can't get them. Why is this, any ideas?
It depends on a number of factors, mainly how far away you are and what's in between you and the source of the signal. I'd recommend an aftermarket antenna if you want to pick up anything a decent distance away.