Railroad Forums 

• Rail service to Calverton?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #855732  by SemperFidelis

Thank you! There is also a fence company that is going to use the service.

I don't think anyone has linked to this article yet:

http://www.riverheadnewsreview.com/news ... hp?ID=1978

This article states that a councilman and some members of the business community would like to see the spur rebuilt along a slightly different path to allow it to serve more industries.
 #855773  by Teutobergerwald

I'm sure a new line can be built in addition to the existing one so addition spurs can added for new or existing customers.
 #855841  by workextra

Interesting point. Ideally they have the space Providing if the money is available they should consider very much into.
A: building a balloon loop so trains entering can completely turn around.
B: propose a connection to Calverton National Cemetery North of Rte 25 for movement of dirt and other supplies if rail is suitable. as the loop would encompass the parameter of the property.
Note that the spur can be placed in service while the loop is still being constructed.
As for switch stated in the article, I say put it in then build the "industry tracks" off it. once the switch is installed off the main spur. the spur can be opened for business and not effect the other work going on.
 #856693  by JMBethpage

The track has been completed along Connecticut Ave. except for the gravel and some grading work. The new trackage enters the old Grumman facility (EPCAL) and goes around the first curve. No additional gravel has been added since my last entry and no sign of work on the Grumman Blvd. crossing. It appears they'll save the crossing for last. It also appears the old track is being reused with new ties. To answer a previous question, I believe this spur was last used in 1975. Here's the status of work as of 10/2/10:

http://s1042.photobucket.com/albums/b42 ... rton10-10/
 #856729  by Teutobergerwald

Hopefully when the job is done and the spur is ready for service, someone will get video of the first NYA train to run over those long-unused rails and take that 30+ years of rust off.
 #856832  by Shavano

Shavano wrote:The contracted company is reusing the old rail that has been on site since originally laid in the mid 50's, it's jointed together next to where the rails will be laid..

Minus for the new mainline switch of course.
 #859693  by tahawus84

there is a sign up saying river road will be closed from the 12th - 15th. I am guessing they will be putting in the crossing soon
 #860941  by tahawus84

Crossing over river ave has been installed. No lights or signs yet though. Crossing is real smooth. A few track cars on site. Rails and ties laid up to the first crossing in the business park. No ballast yet
 #862681  by Ron Ridolph

Hi All: RE: Calverton Rail Spur//EPCAL Project:

I had taken photos in July of 2010 as this project was just getting underway on a visit to Long island and again on Labor Day weekend as it was really progressing. If anyone would like to see them, just contact me. I thank those who have posted the most recent photos of this project. I left Long Island 24 years ago and now reside in the Catskills. I would enjoy anyone who would post the progress of this project as I had and have a few cherished family members who worked at Grumman Calverton.

Thanks and My best to ALL !!!! Cordially, Ron Ridolph
 #863746  by tahawus84

Crossing for the main gate enterance off river road being installed today and tomorrow. Have some photos of the new crossing and progress will post them probably tonight
 #864821  by Sir Ray

Today's Newsday had this article on Rechler Equity pulling out of it's deal to purchase 300 acres of land at Calverton for industrial development.
Since people may not have access to Newsday's site, let me summarize.
Rechler Equity in 2007 originally offered 35 million to buy 300 acres in Calverton to build 2.5million sqft of industrial land.
Earlier this year, the purchase price was re-negoiated to 18million.
However, Rechler kept changing their plans -
Ten months ago, we began conversations with the town board about coming up with a plan that would be feasible," Rechler said..."We need a place to house a workforce, a place for people to eat and shop and work, a self-contained work experience with a sustainable project [like] a solar farm."
Hmm, 'house a workforce'? 'eat and shop'? 'self-contained work experience'? Sounds to me like they wanted to dump the industrial development, and develop yet another townhouse and retail center complex, just what Long Island doesn't need. This land is supposed to be near the Calverton Airport runway (judging from Google maps there are 2 runways, forming a vee north of the properties to be served by rail as mentioned previously in this thread - so I don't have the exact location of where the parcel Rechler planned to buy was going to be.
 #866296  by M1 9147

Here is the work Train laid up in the pitch black of Calverton on the south end of the spur. Well, at least I was able to get a photo of it, but under the toughest of dark conditions!