• Following the Last Smurf (MEC 511)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by calaisbranch

Since we're down to only the 511 retaining the Ph 1 Pan Am scheme, I figured I'd split it off from the Repaint thread. For those who follow the "Smurf," it is having eastbound/northbound lead duty on BA-1 out of Bucksport this week. Of course, that job doesn't normally go on until like 4pm except perhaps on a weekend, so it's been kind of hard finding good light to photograph it in. Because I normally work that area, my scanner has been on later each day this week.
  by b&m 1566

Was 505 the one with graffiti all over it?
  by calaisbranch

I don't recall 505 having been tagged. I know 501 had been nearly two years before it got the blue dip, but it wasn't ever a "smurf." The 511 certainly is marked up. If you get the chance, check out the engineer's side of the long hood next time it's down your way.
  by scrumdiddley92

Of course, the 511 disappeared as soon as I mentioned where it was last week. However, as of Thursday, it was back in Bucksport doing the same thing....That was lead duty on the eastbound/northbound BA-1. See how long it sticks around this time. Perhaps I'll be able to get it going somewhere this weekend.
  by scrumdiddley92

Figures as soon as I mentioned it last week, the 511 left the branch. Low and behold, it was back on east/northbound BA-1 duty as of yesterday. I didn't see if it was in Bucksport today, but perhaps I can get it moving somewhere in the area this weekend.
  by Otto Vondrak

b&m 1566 wrote:Was 505 the one with graffiti all over it?
Since this is a 511 discussion, I won't bring up the 505 again except for this...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ottomatic77/3076946043/
  by scrumdiddley92

I've noticed it's been a very long time since anyone has posted a recent pic or sighting of the 511. I'm kind of expecting it to show up around NMJ in its new paint any time following this lack of tracking it.
  by scrumdiddley92

Hopefully, that's right, because I'd like to have at least one more chance to get a shot of the unit in its current colors. Thanks for the update.
  by ElburnAl

FWIW

MEC 511 was at East Deerfield Yd this morning (3-9), along with 609, making up a train. Heading west.
  by jaymac

Showing the full Pan Am palette, 511, NewBlue 609, and OldGray 333 were sitting westbound on the track 1 pad at Wachusett, waiting for a crew on 03-17-2011 at 0820. Didn't hear D-3 trying to talk to them, so no idea when they got headed west again. It was general freight and extended back east of the steam plant.
  by HarmonicRock

Spotted the 511 sitting on the pad at East Deerfield this afternoon around 5:00 or so. There was some other power around but nothing was coupled to it...
  by bunky

I saw 511 by Forest St. on the west side of
Portland switching cars on Friday afternoon 3/25/11