• Following the Last Smurf (MEC 511)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by downeaster

Spotted MEC 511 at Bucksport around 0800 today, still paired with 381, joined by 506, with 340 as mill switcher.
  by downeaster

Found 511 today in Waterville, positioned next to one of the shop buildings. Any one know its status?
  by MEC407

Ruh-roh... next in line for a repaint?
  by CFD125

Poor Papa Smurf!! Gonna get a dark blue dip.

It would be nice to keep it just the way it is. Twenty years from now, they're going to paint one in that scheme, and call it a heritage unit!!
  by jaymac

Mebbe the heritage smurfing is already reserved for the 71? Think what an anachronistically sharp-looking hump/relief duo the 77 and 71 would make!
  by downeaster

MEC 511 at Waterville today, paired with 344 working the Madison Job I think.
Still in her" Smurf" paint.
  by bubbytrains

511 was the middle unit of a three-unit consist on a canned eastbound freight (looked like a PORU) at Leeds Jct. Wednesday afternoon. Still a smurf.
--ARS
  by Tim Mullins

Just wondering....How did the 500's come up with the name "Smurf"?...I hated running those engines...They were terrible for switching...Wouldn't stop in the snow and rode like a buck board and on top of all that...The refrigirater didn't work!
  by KSmitty

Smurf refers just to the 511, previously also included the 505, as their baby blue and charcoal gives a "smurflike" look and color to them...or so thats my understanding. :D
  by KSmitty

511 was trailing #3XX into NMJ about 4:30 tonight 11/30. Was the middle unit with 506 (?) being the last unit. It was in one of those really cool GRS/PAR1/PAR2 paint line ups...
  by necr3849

I'd imagine they run similar to Santa Fe's GP60Ms when they came online. Rough as hell due to all that extra weight on a dual axle truck instead of like an SD60 on a tri....."Smurf" was one of the first things that came to mind when I first saw the Phase 1 Pan Am on the 505 and 511. I got the 505 in all three paint schemes, and hope for one more decent chase of the 511 before they paint it as well.
  by KSmitty

Its in the area, who knows how long it will stay here...I wish I'd had my camera but oh well.
  by newpylong

yup, the 500's rode like crap. Trucks always seemed to hunt. But the cabs were decent compared to the rest.
  by KSmitty

511s was the lead unit on a train without a crew sitting by the office @ Waterville @ 6:15p on 12/4/11.

Was 511, 501 and 332. Too bad there aren't more of those Ph.2 units left, they look good with the railroad name written out imo...