Railroad Forums 

• Following the Last Smurf (MEC 511)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#887298  by calaisbranch

Since we're down to only the 511 retaining the Ph 1 Pan Am scheme, I figured I'd split it off from the Repaint thread. For those who follow the "Smurf," it is having eastbound/northbound lead duty on BA-1 out of Bucksport this week. Of course, that job doesn't normally go on until like 4pm except perhaps on a weekend, so it's been kind of hard finding good light to photograph it in. Because I normally work that area, my scanner has been on later each day this week.
 #889181  by calaisbranch

I don't recall 505 having been tagged. I know 501 had been nearly two years before it got the blue dip, but it wasn't ever a "smurf." The 511 certainly is marked up. If you get the chance, check out the engineer's side of the long hood next time it's down your way.
 #890309  by scrumdiddley92

Of course, the 511 disappeared as soon as I mentioned where it was last week. However, as of Thursday, it was back in Bucksport doing the same thing....That was lead duty on the eastbound/northbound BA-1. See how long it sticks around this time. Perhaps I'll be able to get it going somewhere this weekend.
 #890311  by scrumdiddley92

Figures as soon as I mentioned it last week, the 511 left the branch. Low and behold, it was back on east/northbound BA-1 duty as of yesterday. I didn't see if it was in Bucksport today, but perhaps I can get it moving somewhere in the area this weekend.
 #891342  by Otto Vondrak

b&m 1566 wrote:Was 505 the one with graffiti all over it?
Since this is a 511 discussion, I won't bring up the 505 again except for this...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ottomatic77/3076946043/
 #907976  by scrumdiddley92

I've noticed it's been a very long time since anyone has posted a recent pic or sighting of the 511. I'm kind of expecting it to show up around NMJ in its new paint any time following this lack of tracking it.
 #911750  by jaymac

Showing the full Pan Am palette, 511, NewBlue 609, and OldGray 333 were sitting westbound on the track 1 pad at Wachusett, waiting for a crew on 03-17-2011 at 0820. Didn't hear D-3 trying to talk to them, so no idea when they got headed west again. It was general freight and extended back east of the steam plant.