Railroad Forums 

• 2007 Livonia, Avon & Lakeville RR Movements

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#450782  by railwatcher

railfan87 wrote:Is the LA&L back on days now? I caught 420 and 425 today crossing West Henrietta Road headed back to Genesee Junction from M&F lumber around 12:30 pm. The train had to stop at the traffic light governing the crossing....never seen that before. A train stops for cars for once!
Luther wrote:
There are simply too many obstacles, width of road, electric and phone lines, massive amounts of road traffic, less frequent use of that crossing that it makes more sense to stop traffic by way of traffic light and then grant the train permission to cross. If this were the main line and not the branch some other mechanism/a way to get functional gates installed would have been used.

A good assumption. There was a concern when Rt 15 was rebuilt many years ago, that the disrupting of trains was really messing with traffic flows. Traffic Lights were installed on this branch and the bridge over the CSX line was installed to help traffic flows. The lights are triggered by controls that the train crew activates. Red shows up the tracks until the lights are activiated. People blow these off just as bad or worse than they do standard railroad crossing lights and gates. I want to say mid to late 1970's this was done, but someone else, might be able to give a better time line than this. I do know that it was before Rt390 was complete, we used to travel to Strong hospital from Wellsville doing Ambulance transfers and remember going by Conesus Lake and Henrietta. Got to CSX line one night and had to stop for a train while doing CPR in the back.

#451416  by railwatcher

10/01/07 after 4 pm #425 and #420 finished switching cars out, in the Avon yard and headed south for Lakeville. A large string of cars are standing on the Avon Industrial line stretching aways back behind some of the Wadsworth St. homes, but not quite to my place.

Greg

#452314  by railwatcher

10/4/07 north through Avon, non stop after 8:30 am unknown power and consist. I couldnt get out there quick enough! Foliage is still too thick for viewing from home.
 #452593  by Sandy Burton

Luther,

Good to hear that the LAL is back to a day-time schedule. I will be in the area on Monday so hopefully I will have a train to chase.

Sandy
 #452843  by Luther Brefo

Sandy Burton wrote:Luther,

Good to hear that the LAL is back to a day-time schedule. I will be in the area on Monday so hopefully I will have a train to chase.

Sandy
Sounds like a plan, I think I will be swinging by the Bath & Hammondsport on my return trip from New York City. And of course I will follow that with a visit to the LA&L. See you around.

#454799  by railfan87

10:50 am heard the LA&L crossing Bailey road...assuming they were headed north

#454908  by Mike Walsh

LA&L left Genesee Junction around 2:15, crossed Jefferson (with the switch lined for M&F), cut off 1 car, and went to M&F to drop one boxcar. Upon returning to Jefferson Road (and their train), they headed south one less car they left the Junction with. I don't remember the count, but I wrote it down, so I'll post it later if someone reminds me.

#455160  by Mike Walsh

Note:
They left GJ with 20 cars, went south with 19 cars on 10/11/2007

They left GJ and headed south with 34 cars on 10/9/2007.

#455181  by railfan87

9:37 am LA&L crossing Bailey road heading north

#456136  by railwatcher

10/15/07 North into Avon with #420 leading #425 and 14 +/- cars, arrived in Avon just before 9am.

#457309  by railwatcher

10/17/07 The Avon Industrial liine (to Kraft) is loaded with cars for better than half the distance from the connection to the main and the Kraft Foods plant at Spring St..

#457377  by railwatcher

railwatcher wrote:10/17/07 The Avon Industrial liine (to Kraft) is loaded with cars for better than half the distance from the connection to the main and the Kraft Foods plant at Spring St..
All but three of the cars were removed today after 10 am . The 30 cars went northbound behind a solo #425 running long nose forward.

#457522  by scottychaos

420 and Traveler were up in Rochester today!
just the two of them together.
(something to do with the Barilla opening perhaps?? a tour?)

caught them southbound crossing Jefferson road around 2pm.
looks like they probably ran 420 in the lead (short hood forward) on the way north, with traveler's observation deck at the rear, in "proper" fashion.

then switched 420 to the other side of traveler at Genesee Junction or maybe Brooks ave, then proceeded back south with 420 in the lead again, long hood forward, and traveler running "backwards" with her observation deck next to the engine.

I got a few lame shots behind southtown plaza, not a great location.. took me by surprise and didnt have a chance to get into a good position! :wink:

Scot